Dark spots under shell, normal?

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, CA
Are these bruise looking spots normal? I know nothing traumatic has happened. He/she has never be dropped or fallen. Im guessing it's part of growth? But just want to check to be sure.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453581656.736003.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It looks like growth coloration right on a growth line. There's another on the bottom cross section. Nothing to worry about Sometimes growth lines on the plastron look purplish.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How is his calcium intake? Is he still soft like a hatchling? If he hasn't firmed up yet he should soon with calcium and sun light.
It looks reminiscence of really bad cases of MBD where the shell is so soft and thin you can see through it. I'm not saying that is what it is. I am saying if your husbandry is in check than it looks like nothing to worry about.

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Valley Springs, CA
He has a cuttle bone that he nibbles on at free will. I don't give him any other calcium. There is still a little bit of give but it's definitely not mushy and not see through at all.

How is his calcium intake? Is he still soft like a hatchling? If he hasn't firmed up yet he should soon with calcium and sun light.
It looks reminiscence of really bad cases of MBD where the shell is so soft and thin you can see through it. I'm not saying that is what it is. I am saying if your husbandry is in check than it looks like nothing to worry about.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If your tort has had issues with possible metabolic bone disease, and I don't know if it was ever a problem, I would definitely give him calcium supplements. A cuddle bone may not be enough especially if he doesn't chew on it. In any case, I strongly recommend the calcium D3 because of the softness. If he's just a couple of months, it's normal that there be some give. But, your original concern is still about growth lines, in my opinion.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He has a cuttle bone that he nibbles on at free will. I don't give him any other calcium. There is still a little bit of give but it's definitely not mushy and not see through at all.

What does your tortoise weigh and how old is it?

What is your UV source?

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Valley Springs, CA
Around 12 weeks. 70 grams. And just good ol' sunlight right now. Working on getting a nice big enclosure built ASAP with all the correct lighting.

What is your UV source?

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Valley Springs, CA
He definitely eats the cuddle bone. I will look into the supplements. I just figured the cuddle bone was best so he/she could get the calcium as needed and I wouldn't give too much.

If your tort has had issues with possible metabolic bone disease, and I don't know if it was ever a problem, I would definitely give him calcium supplements. A cuddle bone may not be enough especially if he doesn't chew on it. In any case, I strongly recommend the calcium D3 because of the softness. If he's just a couple of months, it's normal that there be some give. But, your original concern is still about growth lines, in my opinion.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I just read about metabolic bone disease here:

http://africantortoise.com/metabolic_bone_disease.htm

And tortie has none of the "critical signs" of MBD.
That's what I thought. But, if you want to ward off any future problems, you'll need to get a UV bulb for the times he can't get the natural sun especially in the winter months when the temps outside are too cold. If he's eating the cuddle bone, then I agree with you, he may not need the calcium supplement. Keep an eye out for how often he chews on the cuddle bone cause if he's eating it every once in a while, he should be getting calcium about 3 times a week. Other than that, Tom can chime in and give you his expert opinion.:) Again, those are growth lines, and nothing to worry about.

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Valley Springs, CA
Awesome, thank you. That's what I figured as he/she has gone through some huge growth spurt recently. First pics is about 3-4 weeks ago, second was the other day. I will be getting a bulb very soon.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453733401.591222.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453733415.341131.jpg

That's what I thought. But, if you want to ward off any future problems, you'll need to get a UV bulb for the times he can't get the natural sun especially in the winter months when the temps outside are too cold. If he's eating the cuddle bone, then I agree with you, he may not need the calcium supplement. Keep an eye out for how often he chews on the cuddle bone cause if he's eating it every once in a while, he should be getting calcium about 3 times a week. Other than that, Tom can chime in and give you his expert opinion.:) Again, those are growth lines, and nothing to worry about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The bruising is not normal, and it can be an indicator of a very serious problem, but your tortoise doesn't show any of the other signs.

I think the thing to do is just keep an eye on your tortoise and make sure its getting as much mid day winter sun as it can.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

What is your UV source?

The bruising is not normal, and it can be an indicator of a very serious problem, but your tortoise doesn't show any of the other signs.

I think the thing to do is just keep an eye on your tortoise and make sure its getting as much mid day winter sun as it can.

@Tom Are you saying that the discoloration are bruises, or that " bruises" in general are not normal? I'd be very surprised if you believe the discoloration are bruises cause my torts had those same discoloration and they were growth lines that later got lighter, and they didn't have (nor ever) had MBD.

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Valley Springs, CA
I got a couple of better pictures of it. It's not bruising. I guess I should have found a better description than "bruise like" but I said that to describe the sort of color and look. It looks streaky kind of. Almost like something being pulled apart and stretched. I don't even know if that is the best way to describe it. It's definitely not deep within the shell, it's seems to be just right under the surface. His shell is NOT mushy or see through at all. It has a tiny bit of give and that's more where the yolk was, at that little circle. He's eating, active and seems his normal self. Poops normal, gets daily soaks, lots of fresh water...

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453738886.531338.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453738904.384875.jpg

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Valley Springs, CA
He eats grass, all this fav weeds and flowers from our property, cactus pad, leafy carrot tops, and sometimes I'll mix in the spring mix. He really just loves all the stuff that grows around here though. He's eating 2+ cups a day. I am going to be ordering him some mazuri as well to try. I also seen a picture of deans ITs eating hard boiled egg, I didn't know they could eat that, so I may try that as well just for something different.

What are you feeding him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom Are you saying that the discoloration are bruises, or that " bruises" in general are not normal? I'd be very surprised if you believe the discoloration are bruises cause my torts had those same discoloration and they were growth lines that later got lighter, and they didn't have (nor ever) had MBD.

That sort of discoloration is not normal. Pinkness between the scutes in the areas of new growth is normal, but I've never seen that sort of dark smear.

I don't know what it is.

I stand by my prior recommendation of keep an eye on it and make sure the tortoises gets lots of sunshine.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That sort of discoloration is not normal. Pinkness between the scutes in the areas of new growth is normal, but I've never seen that sort of dark smear.

I don't know what it is.

I stand by my prior recommendation of keep an eye on it and make sure the tortoises gets lots of sunshine.

I agree completely. Now that the OP read up on MBD, she can better keep an eye out for problems. And, I agree that Tank needs UVB cause in Jersey, there's been at least 4 months of cold weather. Tank can't possibly be getting the UV without a UVB lighting. I hope she's providing that in the tank she keeps them in.