deformed or extra scutes

kalei01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lubbock, TX
need help on a sulcata tortoise I was told that the tortoises that have deformed scutes or as mine an extra scute are more susceptible to bone disease and bladder problems and failure to grow anyone have any info on this

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see how that could be possible. I have many tortoises with aberrant scutes and they are all just as healthy as those with normal scute patterns.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I think there is some info out there about the high temps that cause extra scutes MAY cause other internal problems. I don't have info to say either way. It would be interesting to note survival rates at say 5 years of those with and without extra scutes. My Nadine has split scutes and other than seeming to have more pyramiding around the split scutes, she certainly seems to have no other issues. Coming up on 1 year old and 1000 grams.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I should also add that when googling extra scutes, you don't get many pictures of bigger adults with them.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
I'm always curious be sure of the lack of examples of adult torts with extra scutes. At least go ogling! It makes me nervous even though I've read it doesn't affect health

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Maybe the reason you don't see many older torts with aberrant scutes is because no one was incubating specifically for them a long time ago, and they were much rarer back then.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everyone reading this thread that has a tort with an extra or split scute, make a mental note or Mark your calendar to post about your torts healthy and progress or any problems at say 5 and 10 years. Include if it's split or extra scute. Or if you know anyone that has one as old as the 5 year mark or older.
@Yvonne G how old are yours?

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I posted about 6/7 months ago about the same. I think the consensus was that split scutes tend to be (with exceptions) female. But otherwise perfectly healthy.

No real science behind my statement-- just the posts from members at that time. But that info is better than books most of the time.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Nadine is 1 year today. I'll try to take pics later. It would be nice to start some record of older split scute torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Everyone reading this thread that has a tort with an extra or split scute, make a mental note or Mark your calendar to post about your torts healthy and progress or any problems at say 5 and 10 years. Include if it's split or extra scute. Or if you know anyone that has one as old as the 5 year mark or older.
@Yvonne G how old are yours?

I have several in the 2 year old range, but before she was tipped over and died in the sun, I had an almost full grown Manouria emys phayrei that I purchased as a hatchling from Vic Morgan. She had aberrant scutes and grew at the same rate as the normal hatchling I bought along with her. . . ate just fine and was normal in every other way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm going to start a thread specifically for pictures and histories of tortoises with extra or split scutes. I'll put it in the health section (this one is in the Sulcata section) and pin it so we can find it easier. But I'm running errands this a.m., so I'll come back and get it done later today.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What percentage of hatchlings have split scutes? Less than 5% I am guessing and that is generous.
What percentage of all hatchlings reach adulthood? Less than 50% again I am guessing.

Maybe that is why you don't see many adults with split scutes.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
What percentage of hatchlings have split scutes? Less than 5% I am guessing and that is generous.
What percentage of all hatchlings reach adulthood? Less than 50% again I am guessing.

Maybe that is why you don't see many adults with split scutes.
IN the wild, young Sulcatas regularly have irregular scutes, with over 8% of them displaying aberrant scute patterns.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This got me looking back at The Crying Tortoise. In his book, he wonders himself if tortoises born with scute abnormalities die more easily later on. His data shows 15% of Sulcatas are born with aberrant scutes while only 5% of wild adults show aberrant scutes.