Deja vu.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Well we are on hols, left oldest daughter and maybe future son in-law in charge of pets, and guess what, 2 hingebacks have just hatched, potentially another 5 could follow. Poor Ben, he was in a right panic. Now he knows how I felt. Hee hee. 1 of these is from same clutch that the twins were from.

IMG-20160720-WA0001.jpg IMG-20160720-WA0002.jpg IMG-20160720-WA0000.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Another on its way.

So from 3 clutches of 3,3 and 4 I've had 1 from each clutch with potentially another from each clutch totaling 6 from 10 eggs. No diapause and 1° higher temp. With diapause and 1° lower I got 10 from 10. Maybe a coincidence. Time will tell. Got another 8 eggs following up with no diapause, also at the 1° higher temp(29/29.5°).
Next lot I get I'll do, no diapause and at 28/28.5°.
IMG-20160728-WA0000.jpg

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
How many of them to you breed now? :D I lose the over watch :D

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes yes your answer was right.
I mean I lost the overview :D

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Those hatchlings are just too cool looking! You can just imagine them disappearing in the dead leaves of a forest floor.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Those hatchlings are just too cool looking! You can just imagine them disappearing in the dead leaves of a forest floor.
That's what I have on the substrate, a layer of coir. Then a mix of leaves,orchid bark and bits of debris from under the trees outside, makes good for pillbugs too.
I thought one of my adults had got out of the enclosure the other day, talk about panic, anyway I found her totally burried in the substrate under leaves. Even when I moved the leaves(which I had done already trying to find her) you could hardly see her, not even 1 full scute.
At this time I had let the enclosure get too dry, so she dug down right into the moist substrate below. Bit of useless info, but it got me wondering if this is what they would do in the wild in times of a dryer periods to keep moist.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
That's what I have on the substrate, a layer of coir. Then a mix of leaves,orchid bark and bits of debris from under the trees outside, makes good for pillbugs too.
I thought one of my adults had got out of the enclosure the other day, talk about panic, anyway I found her totally burried in the substrate under leaves. Even when I moved the leaves(which I had done already trying to find her) you could hardly see her, not even 1 full scute.
At this time I had let the enclosure get too dry, so she dug down right into the moist substrate below. Bit of useless info, but it got me wondering if this is what they would do in the wild in times of a dryer periods to keep moist.

For sure they do that for staying moist. A good example for that are the genus pelusios. Most of them grab inside the sand when the water goes down in the dry period of the year. On this way they stay wet and they can "hibernate". My P. nanus did that. Absolutely interesting to watch!
So this behavior is totally normal especially for a rainforest species like homeana .