Deja vu.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
It's happening again :eek:.
Last 10 homeana hatchlings all seem to be thriving.
Thought I'd look over my eggs as I expected one of the redfoots to pip by now. Guess what, there is a hingeback Pipping. Shocked again. There are 3 clutches that were laid within 2 days of each other, clutches of 3 , 3 and 4. 2 eggs blew and 1 looks naff. So 7 maybe's. The last 10 had a diapause and then at 28.5°c. These did not, straight to temp at 29.2/29.5°c. The egg that has pipped took 110days. We shall see if it turns out ok.
I've tried to take a photo of the Pipping egg next to the most recent egg I've put in to show how much they expand. It hasn't worked. But they seem to get huge compared to when they are layed. Is this because I'm putting them in damp coir and covering with damp moss. I have a lid loosely laid on top of this tub within the incubator, so its super humid in that tub. Not dripping wet but very very humid.
The next clutch laid I need to weigh and measure the eggs from start to finish.
IMG_20160712_133129.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice .......I do flip it up-right myself ....it might turn around again ....but "nothing wrong with a little help" the one amazing thing still to this day is a wild born tort going through the madness of actually making it out of a buried nest. None-the -less.....Two Thumbs up! ^

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Very Nice .......I do flip it up-right myself ....it might turn around again ....but "nothing wrong with a little help" the one amazing thing still to this day is a wild born tort going through the madness of actually making it out of a buried nest. None-the -less.....Two Thumbs up! ^
Thanks Jeff. Will do.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If it's going to happen, guaranteed it will happen to me.
Just got home from work(nightshift) and the little guy still in same position looking dead. No reaction when I touch it. So opened the egg to find this. It moved it's limbs, but can't tell if it was the weight of me moving it about forcing limbs to move. Both fully formed. I've put them in brooder in incubator.
IMG_20160713_061544.jpg IMG_20160713_061631.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Not really sure what's going on here. They are both still lifeless but one has its eyes wide open now. Maybe just muscles relaxing.
Either way they are dead or we are seeing them still developing but without the shell. The yolk is way bigger than what 2 normal yolks would be.
I'll just leave them be and make sure they don't dry up. No siblings are showing yet which could be a sign of being premature, but then again.......

IMG_20160713_124202.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Any more signs of life?
I've been at work all night, finish in 2hrs. Will look first thing when I get home. I noticed this egg expanded quite a lot, there's another in this clutch that's the same size too. Not sure I'm liking this twin malarkey, it's fraught with danger :(. I'll bet there only about 10g each.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Not really sure what's going on here. They are both still lifeless but one has its eyes wide open now. Maybe just muscles relaxing.
Either way they are dead or we are seeing them still developing but without the shell. The yolk is way bigger than what 2 normal yolks would be.
I'll just leave them be and make sure they don't dry up. No siblings are showing yet which could be a sign of being premature, but then again.......

View attachment 180115
I wrote an article for the German turtle magazine Schildkroten im Fokus a number of years ago on how to separate living TRIPLETS. If you check my older posts on this forum I wrote a bunch of stuff about them here too.
The short version was that they all survived and were thriving...until I used horticultural sphagnum moss in their enclosure that had been treated with pesticides. They all died within a week or so.
Making mistakes is how you learn, but that was a tough lesson.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I wrote an article for the German turtle magazine Schildkroten im Fokus a number of years ago on how to separate living TRIPLETS. If you check my older posts on this forum I wrote a bunch of stuff about them here too.
The short version was that they all survived and were thriving...until I used horticultural sphagnum moss in their enclosure that had been treated with pesticides. They all died within a week or so.
Making mistakes is how you learn, but that was a tough lesson.
Thanks Carl, I'll have a look for the thread. Do all twins/triplets use the same egg sack?