Desert Tortoise 33yo not eating

NLS

Location (City and/or State)
Lakewood, CA
Hello - we adopted a 33yo desert tortoise last year. Had a successful brumation and came out great. Two weeks ago, he was less active (very active usually - roams all around the yard and his garden munching on grasses). Then he stopped eating. He had a runny nose so I gave him warm baths and made a doc appt. Doc said she thinks he is very healthy - skin, shell and mouth and isn't quite sure what is going on. She doesn't suspect RI. She gave him fluids and sent us home. His runny nose is better and he is wandering a bit more but he is not eating. He has a diet of the grasses in his garden, dandelion greens from the store and occasional apple and kale. The Doc suggested the pellets - which he hates but I have been able to trick him by spreading it on apple slices. He takes about 3 bites and is done. We live in So. Cal and he sleeps in an igloo at night. The substrate at the bottom of his house is Orchid Bark and his garden where he grazes was planted with organic peat moss. Should I just calm down and let him go at his pace? Do you think parasites are to blame? His was normal as of Monday. Any thoughts/insights/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

NLS

Lakewood, CA
Hi Tom, I am not seeing what you responded with....let me know if I missed something - thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi Tom, I am not seeing what you responded with....let me know if I missed something - thanks
No, I sent an alert to Tom. He might be able to help you. He hasn't responded yet. But the alert I sent will bring him here when he gets on the forum.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Barb was "summoning" me with the little @ symbol an my username. I haven't answered yet.

I reviewed what we told you back when you joined last November. How and where did you end up brumating your tortoise over the winter months?

Is there any heat source?

This species doesn't do well near the coast, but Lakewood is far enough inland that you should be fine. I grew up in Gardena, so I know the climate well. My karate instructor was in Lakewood and I used to work at 7 Seas Tropical fish a few decades ago in the late 80s and early 90s.

In any case we had an oddly cold, damp, overcast spring. Its certainly hot now, but even my grape vines, cactus stands, and mulberry trees came to life two months later than usual. If your tortoise has been sitting outside in that weather in a cold unheated dog house, that is the most likely cause of the problem now.

Once we see answers to my questions, we can recommend what action to take going forward.

NLS

Lakewood, CA
Barb was "summoning" me with the little @ symbol an my username. I haven't answered yet.

I reviewed what we told you back when you joined last November. How and where did you end up brumating your tortoise over the winter months?

Is there any heat source?

This species doesn't do well near the coast, but Lakewood is far enough inland that you should be fine. I grew up in Gardena, so I know the climate well. My karate instructor was in Lakewood and I used to work at 7 Seas Tropical fish a few decades ago in the late 80s and early 90s.

In any case we had an oddly cold, damp, overcast spring. Its certainly hot now, but even my grape vines, cactus stands, and mulberry trees came to life two months later than usual. If your tortoise has been sitting outside in that weather in a cold unheated dog house, that is the most likely cause of the problem now.

Once we see answers to my questions, we can recommend what action to take going forward.
He was in the garage in a rabbit hutch with a habitat heater that I checked every other day.