My poor baby

dannyboy

5 Year Member
We have had our baby tort for a year. We have recently found out he has low calcium,which he has had all his shots and now has powder for his food.

I have a doc appt for MichaelAngelo to see his doc who knows reptiles.
When I was soaking him I noticed his skin was peeling which doc said was normal because of growth. But when I looked, underneath is a pale pink, and lil white. His whole face and neck skin is off as well.. Could it be cause of his low calcium? I have been so emotional and teary eyed help.

Attachments

• 1404279374961.jpg
    1404279374961.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 49

mikeh

5 Year Member
What kind of shots did the tort receive? I believe high dose vitamin A shot can cause peeling of the skin as you describe.
Vitamin injections are not the best way to go as some vets will overdose the animal, many times resulting in animals death.

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Please don't tell me it was a vit. shot, they often cause massive sloughing of the skin as described. Low calcium won't affect his skin like you described.

dannyboy

5 Year Member
Calcuim shots and antibiotics... His low calcium caused a soft shell. He was doing better, getting sunlight every other day and soaked as well. He gets fed with calcium powder. He to me was getting better and now has the peeling of the skin on his face a neck. And I see pale white and light pink. I freaks me out so I am taking him in. It has costs us a lot and I love baby its just so hard right now and I never have anytime anymore.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd be willing to bet that the vet included a vitamin injection along with the calcium and antibiotics. Tortoises do shed skin but it is a normal thing and the skin underneath the shed is not pink or raw. The best you can hope for is that it doesn't become infected.

Your little guy is pretty flat. I'm glad you're trying to get him better, and I have my fingers crossed for you, but to tell you the truth, it doesn't look good. Remember - the calcium MUST HAVE either the real sunshine or a good UVB light in order to work. The two work together.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Where in the world do you live? Sunny area or drab area? That tort needs outside time and soaks...what is the "regular" diet?