Desert tortoise shell abrasion or scraping

nuphonemonteverde

Location (City and/or State)
California
I've been searching around past posts on this topic, wondering if there's any updates.

My desert tortoise loves to burrow (and it is gradually wearing down the top half of its shell. Not too deep, but the rings look somewhat worn away and scratched. The color of the scutes is dull as well. Some big roots and rocks are just above the burrow, there isn't an easy way to remove them. I would have to encourage it to burrow elsewhere.

Does the shell gradually recover, or will it simply stay worn away from this abrasion?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The carapace isn't going to grow back or repair itself in any meaningful way.
I have a rescue sulcata that was chewed on for years by a dog and his shell is still damaged. However, new growth has been added to his carapace so it's not as obvious anymore. He's a growing boy. And he's such a happy camper these days. I like to think of these scuffs as their aging process. It shows their wisdom :D

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
The only real way to heal the shell is by way of Coconut Oil Treatments. I agree ya need to eliminate things that will 'Hurt' the shell, just as others have said, by fixing the hard stuff touching the shell. Coconut Oil fats are comprised of almost 50% Lauric Acid which allows the Keratin to open up and "Absorb" oils which in turn will help the Keratin Repair itself. Other oils DO NOT have this Acid in such high amounts, which can and will 'Plug' the Keratin which will just further the damage to the Keratin.
Kinda long winded but I hope this gives some insight into how the shell works.

nuphonemonteverde

California
The only real way to heal the shell is by way of Coconut Oil Treatments. I agree ya need to eliminate things that will 'Hurt' the shell, just as others have said, by fixing the hard stuff touching the shell. Coconut Oil fats are comprised of almost 50% Lauric Acid which allows the Keratin to open up and "Absorb" oils which in turn will help the Keratin Repair itself. Other oils DO NOT have this Acid in such high amounts, which can and will 'Plug' the Keratin which will just further the damage to the Keratin.
Kinda long winded but I hope this gives some insight into how the shell works.

What about calcium supplements