Desert Tortoise

jaclinelp

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
Good Evening, I have a 15 year old desert tortoise, i received her 2 yrs ago, last winter she went into hibernation in Sep and stayed till March. This year Tucson has been having crazy hot record breaking temperatures. She didn’t go in until Nov. 10, but I came home today and she’s back out. I don’t know if I should move her back to her home, feed her or just leave her alone. Can someone tell me what I should do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good Evening, I have a 15 year old desert tortoise, i received her 2 yrs ago, last winter she went into hibernation in Sep and stayed till March. This year Tucson has been having crazy hot record breaking temperatures. She didn’t go in until Nov. 10, but I came home today and she’s back out. I don’t know if I should move her back to her home, feed her or just leave her alone. Can someone tell me what I should do.
First read this. Most of the care info given for this species is wrong.

Letting them "hibernate" outdoors in the back yard often results in their death for a variety of reasons. Read this for all the steps to do it successfully. The main post you need is #19 if you don't want to read the whole thing:

AZGirl

Arizona
First read this. Most of the care info given for this species is wrong.

Letting them "hibernate" outdoors in the back yard often results in their death for a variety of reasons. Read this for all the steps to do it successfully. The main post you need is #19 if you don't want to read the whole thing:
I read these last fall, thanks @Tom. My 6 yo DT, Parker, went to sleep abt Nov 10 this season and is still sleeping. About usual, my 3rd yr of hibernating him. I feel I’m doing it better, hopefully. I am in Central AZ, (born in Tucson), so much colder up here at 5k elevation. Must hibernate indoors. It has been a very weird weather year in AZ. No rain to speak of last summer. Good Luck with your DT. That info sheet was helpful!

AZGirl

Arizona
Sorry, just noticed date on orig post. ?‍♀️?