Desert Tortoises keep dying - help!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Best wishes to you and your torts. Please keep us updated.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hello. Sorry to hear about this event. I have to disagree with your vet. When you start losing animals that quickly it's attributed to something that CAN be tested and should be. Especially if these deceased animals were in contact with the others of the herd.

Gross necropsy should be done.for best results your vet should send to
Northwest Zoopath
http://www.zoopath.com/Services.htm
Michael M. Garner, DVM, Dipl. ACVP
For complete analysis. I'd suggest your vet send samples of tongue to test for herpes virus, liver and kidney for coccidia strains as well.

Again sorry for your losses. Remedy of the existing herd is crucial. Results may take long but it can and will be worth the unanswered questions at bay. It could certainly be some sort of pesticide in adjacent yard or something similar, hystopath from necropsy will show toxins (foreign) in the liver or kidneys if that's the case. Can you think of anything different that has been fed or done this year a pose to previous years?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Is there any update? The reason I suggested the bloodwork is to identify if any certain pathogen is causing the issue. If that can be narrowed down, the best antibiotic can be given. Do you need help finding a vet? (I also live in So Cal.)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Did you add another tortoise to the group recently or last year before hibernation? Have they been in contact with other species of tortoise?

Here's just one thing that can kill off all your tortoises:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/herpeswarning.htm

* I have recently spoken to someone that had two aldabras pass from this!

* OP, 1). Have you had a stool sample checked for parasites and flukes? 2). Any signs of septicemia?

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I live in so cal too. here is my vet,(Tom) Greek and associates. he is great.

RaeRach

California
Thanks for all your suggestions! I have been in contact with UC Davis the state veterinary school in California. They have been awesome and called me back quickly giving me free advice from a doctor. They advised me to spend the money on having a nacropsy done on my tortoise that just passed because I would get more answers verse doing blood work on my tortoises that are still alive. They said extensive blood work would need to be ordered and the nacropsy should give me more answers. So tomorrow I will be taking my tortoise out to San Bernardino (part of UC Davis) for her nacropsy. Should get the rests in about 3 days.

My remaining two are separated and my largest one is still eating a lot. My other one is walking around but only eats maybe a couple bites at a time. I have been syringe feeding her baby food squash. I have noticed that when she does eat on her own her jaw clicks, and never paid attention before to know if that is new or not. I cannot tell if she is pooping and honestly looked like she might have had the "runs" one time.

The only new foods I have given them since coming out of hibernation is green bell pepper, little bit of Kayle, and broccoli once. Mainly they eat green lettuce, squash, zucchini, and hibiscus from my yard.

I'm hoping to get some answers from the nacropsy before anything else happens :-(

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Wow, this is horrible I am so sorry for your losses and that this is happening. I hope you get answers to this. :(

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
My fingers are crossed for you that answers come quickly!! What a terrible thing...I hope you can get your remaining tortoises back to full health.

yillt

I have no idea what to do but I would be thankful for the ones I
I have left. Separate them and if one has any signs of illness keep it away from the others. I am so sorry for your losses and I can't imagine how sad you must be. Just remember this is NOT your fault and you should always carry on keeping tortoises. :);)

Roo Bot

Portland, Oregon
Did you ever get necropsy results? Are your remaining tortoises ok? I hope no news means no more bad news!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes....Any update?? Thanks! ! !