Designated pooping spot or coincidence?

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Max has pooped in the same spot for the last few days...more than once a day. It's not like it's right by his food or basking spot, it's kind of off to the side where he doesn't usually hang out, to my knowledge anyway.

I've never heard of tortoises selecting a bathroom area, but I'm not sure what to think. Is it a choice, or is it just that he goes for a walk after he eats and follows the same path every time and the poop, uh, terminates in the same spot each time?

Just curious....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My tortoises poo on the cement apron next to their swimming pond. (It's actually very convenient.) It seems that every day like clockwork they will eat, swim, poo and then into the shade or one of the dens for a nap. The only exception is that at least one of them likes to drop a deuce in the dog house every now and then.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
dunno whether it deliberate or not but sparky always seems to poop on top of the hill or in his food bowl.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Most likely coincidence as tortoises are creatures of habit, but sometimes I think the have control of their bowels since if I don't feed Nank in a time he sees fair he'll leave a poop on his food dish as a reminder for me to follow his schedule or else.