UN-LIT BASKING SPOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Except for today, the temps outside are high enough to put Tatum, 14mo. Leopard outside, day time only. Because of the warmer temps, the inside enclosure is staying in the low to mid 80's without the MVB. So, my question is. Can I use a CHE for the basking spot or does it have to be a lighted basking spot? I still need a basking spot for his morning wake up, and breakfast, before he gets put outside.
I am not sure if he needs lighted in order for him to know where to go to bask, or if he will just seek out the higher heat. Thank you for all opinions and knowledge:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think this is one of those maybes. Most of them figure it out once they stumble across the warm area a few times.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Reptiles live and die by radiant heat....... These animals know what radiant heat is, and they know how to utilize it ( possibly more so than light energy ).......They don't have to see light to know what it is......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for your answers. I will make sure he gets it just incase he is abnormal:D. Wouldn't be unusual for my family LOL:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would also think that they would gravitate to the heat regardless of bright light (also since going outdoors will get the uv rays needed) especially since they would get the light from windows and your indoor lighting along with time that it is daytime....:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe can find his ceramic heater in the dark regardless of where he's decided to sleep for the night. Tortoises just gravitate towards heat sources.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
LOL! Barb- I think it would take either a big habitat, or a dumb tortoise, to not find and exploit a nice warm spot, even without light. That is why you find snakes and such on roadways after dark- taking advantage of the warm concrete in the night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Madkins007 said:
LOL! Barb- I think it would take either a big habitat, or a dumb tortoise, to not find and exploit a nice warm spot, even without light. That is why you find snakes and such on roadways after dark- taking advantage of the warm concrete in the night.

Not a huge habitat, not a dumb tort? But maybe crazy LOL. I guess we'll know soon if his sense of direction is working or not. Heck, will also tell me if he is male or female LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.