Desperate advice needed..... hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixon shells

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Laceby, Grimsby Lincolnshire, UK
Hi all
My newish 6 year old Hermann has now not eaten AT ALL for 10 days and not much prior to that I have tried everything possible....she was checked at the vets two weeks ago and he told me to keep her awake until she feeds but she was a good weight and well hydrated
Eyes and nose clear. Mouth checked and all clear. Vet checked for worms etc all clear.....
Length 155mm weight 740grm (she has lost25 grm since stopping eating)
When woken she seems bright but all she wants to do is burrow and sleep is it normal for this time of year (recently it has been exceptionally hot for here) and should I allow/encourage her to hibernate?????
Much needed advice please........

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If her photoperiod (time the lights are on) is 12 hours per day or less, she will go into "hibernation mode". I would make sure that the lights are on at least 14 hours a day. See if that helps.

dixon shells

5 Year Member
Laceby, Grimsby Lincolnshire, UK
Thank you both for your replys.....
This week she has been outside during the heat of the day 26/29C but inside the lamp is on 7am to 7pm 28/30C ( she has a hot end and cooler end)but she never basks just sleeps under her cover.....She had been in a vivarium all her life but has been in a TT table since we have had her.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi...you say newish....how long have you had her? Maybe check with prior caregiver and find out what her diet was prior to coming to you????? :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The ambient air temperature for normal activity in her inside enclosure is good 26-29c. But it should be much hotter under her basking lamp, in the range of 35-40c. Daylight duration should be 14-16 hours for normal activity.

Tortoises will not go into hibernation without both the temperature and light being reduced greatly. One or the other alone will not cause them to do so.

It is important to make sure that she remains well hydrated, especially when not eating regularly. Although it isn't usually a good idea to constantly pull a tortoise out of their hiding, to ensure that she is being offered water she should be pulled out of hiding daily to "soak" her and allow her to drink.

What is the humidity level within her enclosure and how dry or wet is the substrate that she is being kept on? Many Northern Mediterranean species will go into aestivation if their environmental conditions become too hot and/or dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.