Diamond back terrapin needs help!

Darklightning07

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Co
Hello ! I recently got a diamond back terrapin and noticed some yellowish scar like on her back foot . Does anyone have an idea what it can be ?
*it has a tank mate that does not have anything on its skin.
* I did a complete water change and started using antibacterial liquid.
If you have any suggestions let me know .
Thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_5384.jpeg
    IMG_5384.jpeg
    692 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5383.jpeg
    IMG_5383.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5382.jpeg
    IMG_5382.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5381.jpeg
    IMG_5381.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its likely a bite from the other one. They shouldn't be kept in pairs. Groups can work, but not pairs.

Is there any salt in the water? That will help them fight infection.

Reactions: Ink

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I dealt with this issue a few months ago. It's simply a water quality issue.

Brackish water is a lot more clean than fresh. Just up the water changes to maybe twice a week and it will clear up.

Skin is beautiful now!
Eddie
20240511_161657.jpg
20240616_120339.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is not . Do you use the same salt water salt or anything different? Also how much salt .
You need to use "sea salt". I use the type for saltwater aquariums. How much salt? That could be debated endlessly. Some say none, some say a lot. This is a species of great interest to me. I cared for some in the past, many years ago, and I love them over other species because of their awesome puppy dog-like personalities. I intend to work with them again, but I'm still working out the logistics of how and where to put them on my ranch, and how I want to handle the winter time.

I have asked the question: "How much salt, if any?", to many a DBT keeper. I have not found one experienced keeper that has said no salt ever. Some say a saltwater bath now and then. Most say at least a little salt is beneficial and seems to help them. I do not have much first hand knowledge or experience to share, and I only commented because of the research I've done into the species, and skin issues appear to be more common one there is no salt. I ran about a cup of two of sea salt per 10 gallons for my DBTs in the past, and I never experienced any skin issues, or any other issues either. They are a very hardy species from what I have seen.

To add more info to the discussion, I use a small amount of salt with all my turtle species, and with goldfish too. Many old-timers recommended this to me and they swore by it. I tried it and got positive results, and so I feel comfortable mentioning it here. With livebearing fishes like guppies, mollie, platys, and swords, and for brackish species, I tend to add a little more salt, but still no where near as much salt as would be needed to make actual salt water like what would be in the ocean.

@DoubleD1996! What is your take on salt for DBTs? Necessary? Optional? Salt bath days?