"Did I Tell You That I Got A New Puppy?" deuxieme partie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, my pretty Misty girl went across the rainbow bridge a couple months ago. Something went wrong with her spine and she was paralyzed on the back end, and in pain. Losing her was a terrible experience and I still miss her all the time.

But, living alone, out in a semi rural area, and on a busy street, I felt very insecure without my big dog protector. So I've been watching craigslist.com for a doberman puppy in my price range, which have been few and far between.

I know there will never be another Misty, but I'm hoping for a faithful companion at least.

Yesterday I went and looked at a six month old, red female doberman. She's very pretty. I didn't get to see her run around as we were in his front yard so he was holding her in his arms. But I went ahead and bought her. Stupid me, I neglected to ask her name. I've been calling her Zoe, which she totally ignores.

First thing she did when we got home was chase my cats into hiding. So I've got a pressure gate up to give the cats a safe part of the house.

She's SO active! And chew?? nothing is safe from her chompers! I have a toy order in from Chewy.com that will arrive tomorrow. It can't get here a moment too soon!

She has fixated on me as the person to follow, so when we go outside, even though she runs around like a crazy person, she keeps me in sight and stays pretty much where I am.

When she chased the cats and seemed obsessed, I was worried I would have to put her back up on craigslist, but I'm seeing her in a different light today. Hopefully, as she becomes more tuned into my commands and moods she'll eventually learn the cats are ok.

I don't have decent pictures on this device, but, here's Zoe:

IMG_20230719_101143.jpg

I'll post better pictures when I go to the computer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry about Misty, she was a great dog/friend/fur baby. This one, Zoe, will be too. Just hvve to let her know, other living things in the house and outside are off limits. If I can get my Bull terrier to not chase anything, and they are as Bull headed as they come, you can get Zoe fitting right into the way things are suppose to be.
I never had a dobe, but I had a friend that was one, years ago we used to groom and board her. Bo Diddley was her name, she was red. Such a sweetie!
Can't wait to see better pics. She looks so big for 6 months laying there. They grow too fast.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good that you got this new Dobe pup! I understand totally how you feel about Misty. There is no replacing them as individuals, but we can learn to love the new ones as much in a different way! Cheers!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm so glad you found another companion instead of waiting. It's hard to loose an animal but there's always animals in need of a good home. It's better to get a new one. It helps with the grieving. I had a friend that had a female doberman. She carried a stuffed animal around with her like it was her baby. It was all too cute. Maybe if she has a baby she'll quit trying to catch a cat 😉

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm so sorry to hear about Misty! I lost a dog 2 weeks ago, and it really hurts.

Congrats on your Zoe! I've never had a Doberman, but my husband loved them and had a few, one at a time, before he and I met. Enjoy her puppyhood; as Barb said, they grow way too fast!

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Sorry about Misty. We had a Misty too. Broke my heart when she passed at 15. I'm told pretty old for a lab. Your Misty would be proud of you to open your heart up for another fur baby. Zoe will figure things out. It does take them awhile to adjust.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's beautiful! I'm so glad to see her ears are not cropped!
Ever since the '60s every dog we got was a doberman. And every poor doberman had to endure the ear surgery. The ears on the last two wouldn't stand up no matter how hard we tried. I vowed I'd never do that to a poor puppy ever again! There were a couple on craigslist in my price range, but their ears were cropped so I passed them up. The last three I've had were 'natural' and it's grown on me. I like it much better that way now!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Cropping ears is illegal in most states now...glad you got her Y...but is she already grown? That mouth can chew a lot. And don't be irritated at her being a puppy...Did I tell you I got a kitten? When Simon died Little Bit went kinda ugly. So rather than Smokey, my senior cat, beating on him, I bought him a kitten to play with...so now I have 3 solid gray felines. I tried to catch a picture of the 3 but hahaha really? this is Little Bit and Grayson Little Bit is trying to teach Grayson how to climb the wall...DSCN1735.JPG
SmokeyDSCN1123.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I haven't weighed her, but she's about half size. If you see her gamboling around in the pasture you can see how her feet are too big and her legs too long for her body. I'd guess she's about 30lbs. . . a miniature doberman!

I love your wall steps. And the cats are cute too. 😊😊

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Spring (I don't remember if I told you my new puppy's name is now Spring because she has springs in her feet) does not get along with tortoises, turtles, cats or people. Naturally, she is never allowed outside unless I'm out there too. And when we do go out, she always keeps her eye on me and stays within visual distance. When we're in a tortoise yard she nudges the tortoises, wanting them to run so she can chase them. There's not a doubt in my mind if she weren't supervised she would chew them. I have gates across the hallway going into my reptile room in the house, and both of my indoor cats use that as their safe area. When I go outside I make Spring wait at the door while I make sure all the outside cats have run to a hiding place (so she doesn't get in the habit of chasing them) and then I "OK" her out the door.

So, today Spring and I were in the Texas tortoise yard and my daughter, her son and the two great grand boys came for an unexpected visit. As soon as Spring saw them she started barking furiously with her hair standing up. She eventually smelled my daughter's hand, but wouldn't have anything to do with the boys. I had to put her in the house. We were inside a fence and the people were outside the fence. This is what happens, to cats and dogs, when they live with an old person who never gets any visitors. The cats turn feral and the dogs get mean.

Just now I went into the reptile room to sit with the cats for a bit and this is what I saw:

Little Missy Kitty in Quarantine 8-4-23.jpg

I have a shelf unit on one wall with empty aquariums for when I ran the rescue, for turtles that needed a place to stay until adopted out. She seems to think she's safe from that awful puppy that now lives in our house!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Oh my, Yvonne, you've got your work cut out for you! What is her age now?

I definitely agree with you on the safety aspect. I felt protected by Bishop the entire 6 weeks I was away, even though I don't know what he would do if faced with a situation. Just his presence and his bark is a deterrent. You'll feel the same with Spring when she finally grows up.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Spring (I don't remember if I told you my new puppy's name is now Spring because she has springs in her feet) does not get along with tortoises, turtles, cats or people. Naturally, she is never allowed outside unless I'm out there too. And when we do go out, she always keeps her eye on me and stays within visual distance. When we're in a tortoise yard she nudges the tortoises, wanting them to run so she can chase them. There's not a doubt in my mind if she weren't supervised she would chew them. I have gates across the hallway going into my reptile room in the house, and both of my indoor cats use that as their safe area. When I go outside I make Spring wait at the door while I make sure all the outside cats have run to a hiding place (so she doesn't get in the habit of chasing them) and then I "OK" her out the door.

So, today Spring and I were in the Texas tortoise yard and my daughter, her son and the two great grand boys came for an unexpected visit. As soon as Spring saw them she started barking furiously with her hair standing up. She eventually smelled my daughter's hand, but wouldn't have anything to do with the boys. I had to put her in the house. We were inside a fence and the people were outside the fence. This is what happens, to cats and dogs, when they live with an old person who never gets any visitors. The cats turn feral and the dogs get mean.

Just now I went into the reptile room to sit with the cats for a bit and this is what I saw:

View attachment 359828

I have a shelf unit on one wall with empty aquariums for when I ran the rescue, for turtles that needed a place to stay until adopted out. She seems to think she's safe from that awful puppy that now lives in our house!
Great name Spring. I think she will keep you very busy and the cats on tenderhooks! Enjoy 😉

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my, Yvonne, you've got your work cut out for you! What is her age now?

I definitely agree with you on the safety aspect. I felt protected by Bishop the entire 6 weeks I was away, even though I don't know what he would do if faced with a situation. Just his presence and his bark is a deterrent. You'll feel the same with Spring when she finally grows up.
She's in her seventh month. I work with her every day as we go about our business. Nothing formal. For instance every time we go out or in a door or gate, she has to 'stay' until I release her with, 'ok.' She has to sit before I set her food down. Just little things like that. Eventually we'll get around to getting her to accept strangers if I have accepted them, but she's not quite ready yet for that one.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
She's in her seventh month. I work with her every day as we go about our business. Nothing formal. For instance every time we go out or in a door or gate, she has to 'stay' until I release her with, 'ok.' She has to sit before I set her food down. Just little things like that. Eventually we'll get around to getting her to accept strangers if I have accepted them, but she's not quite ready yet for that one.
That looks like great training to me. It takes time. I'm not a dog trainer 😉 but we know one. I watch Lucky Dog on CBS every Saturday morning just in case I ever get the privaledge of being able to take care of one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like your doing good. With the tortoises, turtles, correct her as soon as she looks at them or nudges them. Letting her know they are totally off limits. Same with the cats or any animal family member or wild, like rabbits, birds, etc. It's really all in being consistent. If a English Bull headed terrier can be easily trained to not chase rabbits, etc, most any breed can. Time, daily work/training and consistency.