Diet Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdcoon69

5 Year Member
So, I've been making changes in my tortoises' diet (which was almost exclusively bermuda grass as per my initial post), including more variety (usually some type of dark leafy greens) as well as a calcium supplement on the top. The problem is that now that they've tasted the good stuff, they're not eating their bermuda grass anymore (they pick through the pile for the greens).

Additionally, they're still not eating the amounts that I hear other tortoises are. Neither of them are "eating machines" as I've heard others described. Right now, I'm feeding 1 1/2 cups bermuda grass and 1/2 cup greens for two torts every other day and they don't even finish that.

I took them both to the vet last week and, except for the mild pyramiding I discussed previously, they both got a clean bill of health. However, they are both a little bit undersized for their age (14 months) and I'd like to get them up to speed with their diet. How do you get your torts to eat *all* of their food? Or does it make sense to let them "splurge" and eat greens and veggies for awhile to get them interested in eating again (introducing small amounts of grass later)?

Thanks.

Keith

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's my OPINION on the subject. When a tortoise is a baby, hatchling to about 2 years old, I don't worry about feeding what the care sheets tell you they are "supposed" to eat.

There's absolutely NOTHING WRONG with the way you used to feed your babies. They were eating the grass that they were supposed to eat, and they were growing slowly, which is also to be desired. They probably would have grown up to be happy, healthy tortoises on that diet.

But...I feed my babies on Spring Mix with other things like dandelion, clover, grasses and weeds mixed in. I also soak them in water-soluable liquid bird vitamin water every other day. When they are big enough to be outside, I slowly start weaning them off the "baby food," and allow them to forage through the grass and weeds for their food.

In my opinion, any animal, be it horse, cow, goat or tortoise, would much rather eat a pile of good-tasting food provided by the Food God, than have to go around acres of grass and weeds taking a bite here and a bite there. Its much easier and tastier to eat what is provided by the Food God. But there is also nothing wrong with making your tortoise graze for a living!

So, to close up, if it were me, I would continue feeding your little guys the Spring Mix with grass and weeds added, until they are old enough to go outside and graze on their own. Then you can get them to be lawn mowers and cut out the grocery store food.

I just re-read your post and realize that your tortoises are about a year and a half old. So they are still considered "babies" in my eyes. Go with the dark, leafy greens for a few more months, and chop up the grass real small and mix it in good.

M

Maggie Cummings

For my smaller tortoises I soak them in warm water then I put them in front of a line of food. I feed the same way everyday so the tort gets used to the routine and I think that helps. I also think that warming them up before I feed helps. Then after a routine is established the tort himself knows the routine and will eat better...do your tortoises have access to graze outside?
If I had tortoises who were undersized I would feed them as much greens as they will eat and put them outside on the grass...but I wouldn't try to make them eat the bermuda inside.

kdcoon69

5 Year Member
They are still small, so they are only able to graze outside on weekends (when I can keep an eye on them).

Status
Not open for further replies.