Differencies in advice depending on country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Aquarium world which I've had my fair share of planted tanks and just aquarium with fish. Europe seems to have the newest filters, lights, and technology. Even the newest substrates. It's crazy

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I have a question. Does it only look like that on youtube etc. or do really a lot of young people (12 or even lower) have tortoises and often even big ones like sulcatas or a bit smaller ones like leopard and redfoot? I'm just thinking of all those videos: "Look at my baby Sulcata!" And I'm just thinking, do your parents know you're raising a tank in your room?

I do not want to imply that young people cannot care for a tortoise or a turtle properly, I know of a lot of people who can. But fact is, that they do rely heavily on their parents at that age. And what about college etc? I know a lot of families also love the tortoises, but all of them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would think that most younger people that have tortoises, is due to their parents also being a reptile/tort lover. I know there are quite a few members on here that got their kid a tortoise, even though they are the ones that really wanted it and are the major caretaker of it. Heck, my lizards and varmits I have gotten over the last few years were my sons LOL, that was my excuse. My hubby isn't really animal lover, but not too many can say no to their kid:D My hubby, because of me, has come a long way in liking/loving animals.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
:D Good strategy! Just a small question, do you need a certificate of some kind to keep some tortoise species? I know that you need to have one to keep Sulcatas, Aldabras and others in Switzerland (Germany and Austria as well I think).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, in the US you do for some species. I don't know of all the species, but gallop and radiated, , not sure of all the others.

ulkal

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I don't agree that other countries cherish their animals more then Americans. It may seem like it, only because they usually have much stricter laws dealing with animals then we do. We will spend thousands for our animals. Most other countries will not. Animals in a lot of other countries are throw aways when times get tuff, and are just animals, not family members as much as in the US. Now, being German, I do think they are first in most of the good products on the market for animals, specially the aquarium world:)

I agree with that. I have seen bad husbandry in Germany(back then I did not know) a la Greek with Iceberg lettuce on the floor. And I have seen good one. Its probably not so much different from the US. The only difference might be the kind of relationship- pets are regarded still more as animals and get less humanized. That does not mean less love, care, and respect. Vice versa, you are not necessarily a crazy and irresponsible person when you claim your tortoise smiles.

The only thing is that a lot of people on German reptile forums can be really bitchy. I thought about joining one to discuss- get opinions on the humid method, but after I read how some people jump at each others throats for no reason I passed. Having at least some kind of legal framework is a good place to start, but it certainly has its limits.
Prices of tortoises seem to be lower than in the US, which surprised me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
FLINTUS said:
Yes, definitely. One major thing between the US and England is you Americans use the closed chamber method for loads of species where as unless you're using it for proper forest torts in the uk-and even then you may get moaned at-you will get shot down in flames for using a vivarium style enclosure.

The closed chamber thing is a relatively new development and pretty limited to this forum. I would not call it typical of Americans at all. I wish it were.

peasinapod said:
Personally, I think that some laws concerning the treatment of animals are needed (sadly). Those laws just concern the basics of animal care, eg. how many chickens you can keep on 1m^2, that you aren't allowed to hurt animals. There are many responsible animal keepers but then there are those who aren't.

And this illustrates very clearly the difference in thinking between most Americans and most Europeans.

Don't worry though. Seems like a lot of Americans are abandoning their freedom in favor of more government intrusion into our personal lives and the promise of free stuff too.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Tom said:
And this illustrates very clearly the difference in thinking between most Americans and most Europeans.

Don't worry though. Seems like a lot of Americans are abandoning their freedom in favor of more government intrusion into our personal lives and the promise of free stuff too.

Apparently there was a huge uproar in the french part of Switzerland when they introduced the law about wearing your seatbelt in the car. People were saying that the governement took away their freedom of choice, so yeah... Not always jsut an american thing. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's an interesting example. We have mandatory seat belt laws here too.

Statistically speaking, seat belts save lives. However, I personally know three people who would not be alive today if they had been wearing their seat belt as prescribed by law. Those three people and their families really don't care about statistics. They are just glad to be alive. Personally, I just don't feel like the government should be making those decisions for me and then threatening me with fines, theft of my property, or imprisonment if I choose not to comply.

There are a lot of reasons why a person might decide not to hibernate a species that hibernates naturally in the wild. There are also literally decades of experience that demonstrate that the practice of NOT hibernating is perfectly fine and not harmful in any way to the animals involved. Frankly, I DO choose to hibernate species that hibernate in the wild, but that is NONE of the governments business.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Please, let's not start a disscussion about the principles of law and its enforcement. ;)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
wellington said:
peasinapod said:
Please, let's not start a disscussion about the principles of law and its enforcement. ;)

Why, are you a cop or government official:D

Well wouldn't you like to know... :cool:
If I started a debate I'd be checking every 5 minutes for updates and I can't be distracted that much! I have invertebrates and plants to study! (And don't forget about chemistry... Too much chemistry...:tort: )

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Tortoises. However Switzeland has proved successful for such a small country, even though some of the money was 'dubiously' origined/

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
FLINTUS said:
Tortoises. However Switzeland has proved successful for such a small country, even though some of the money was 'dubiously' origined/

...Let's not get into that...

I like Switzerland as well, but it does take a looooooong time to change/add anything, law-wise.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
How widely spread are tortoises (and turtles) as pets in the US and in the UK? Are they "special" pets or are they pretty common?

Before joining any forum I had only known one person who also owned a tortoise. Hers are also a relict from her grandparents. I know quite a lot of people who own reptiles, but owning tortoises doesn't seem to be as widely spread (at least in my age group).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my experience it is somewhat dependent on the area. Here in Southern CA, anywhere near Phoenix, AZ and all over Florida, it seems like everybody has them. I don't know the exact percentage but I'd guess that where I am the ratio gets as high as 1 in 10 households has some sort of Chelonian. It's very common here for people to get desert tortoises or sulcatas. When I have surplus food, there are plenty of people to pass it out to.

In other parts of the country, like the areas with long frozen winters, tortoise ownership is much less common.

Status
Not open for further replies.