1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Different types of box turtles.

Discussion in 'American box turtles' started by TortMom6, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:55 PM.

1. TortMom6

TortMom6 Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Citrus Heights, California, USA
    I was reading some posts where people were looking for help identifying types of box turtles. I never realize there were so many types of box turtle. I've always assumed my rescue was a three-toed because he has three toes on his hind feet. Now I'm wondering if that is correct.

Also, if different types live in a similar environment and crossed paths could they interbreed? I'm not planning on trying this! I was just curious if there were hybrid box turtles too. And if so is naturally occurring in the wild or would it is only be caused by human interference in captivity? IMG_20180830_183545.jpeg IMG_20180830_183532.jpeg
    Pastel Tortie likes this.
  2. PJay

PJay Well-Known Member

Greater D.C. metro area
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    You definitely have a three toed box turtle. There are several species of box turtle in North America. Where different species natural ranges overlap interbreeding can and does happen. Some of the scientific and even common names in the list below have been updated recently, but most people are slow to adopt the new names:
  3. lisa127

lisa127 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

NE Ohio
    You have a 3 toed. Yes, integrades occur both in the wild and in captivity. I have a 3 toed/gulf coast integrade. Here she is. 20180804_090940.jpg
    Pastel Tortie, Hollymc22 and TortMom6 like this.
  4. TortMom6

TortMom6 Member

Citrus Heights, California, USA
    She's beautiful!
  5. lisa127

lisa127 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

NE Ohio
    Thank you!