Different types of Grasses weeds for star tortoise

Prashant

Hello All,
I have got two babies from pet shop in Mumbai. 2-3 months old .have 2 by 1/2 feet box currently will be upgrading to 3 by 3 shortly.I am using coconut coir substrate(little moist other dry,moist at hiding place) and also have the hiding area.food plate and water plate are always filled.soak them thrice a week for 15 mins.

now really confused about what to give them for eating.It seems they like cactus pads but wont eat much also pet store person have been giving them only coriander so i think they are not used to the new food so they dont eat it. what types of grasses or weeds i will get in Mumbai gardens for my tortoises and how can i break there habit of eating Coriander.When coriander is there they eat a lot and when it is not there they just nibble little and go away, I dont want to hand feed them food.

and also any vets in mumbai to help my star tortoises if needed ?

your Help appreciated. still learning there habitat

Prashant

yes joesmum i did go through it.But how can i break there habit of eating coriander more..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
yes joesmum i did go through it.But how can i break there habit of eating coriander more..
Tortoises know what they like and like what they know.

Many of us have had tortoises behaving like a small child that only wants to eat chocolate!

Try this:
- Chop the food that your tortoise will eat very small and wet it
- Chop a tiny amount of the new food very small and mix it with the rest. The water will stick it together so your tortoise cannot pick it out.
- If your tortoise eats the food: At the next feed, increase the amount of new food slightly and decrease the amount of food it likes.
- If your tortoise refuses the food: Leave it there all day. At the next feed, feed exactly the same mix in the exactly the same proportions.

Gradually your tortoise will start to eat the new food voluntarily:)

A hungry tortoise will eat and can safely go without food while on hunger strike for a few days.

It is important to soak your tortoise for at least 30 minutes on days when your tortoise refuses food or eats little though as it must not become dehydrated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello All,
I have got two babies from pet shop in Mumbai. 2-3 months old .have 2 by 1/2 feet box currently will be upgrading to 3 by 3 shortly.I am using coconut coir substrate(little moist other dry,moist at hiding place) and also have the hiding area.food plate and water plate are always filled.soak them thrice a week for 15 mins.

now really confused about what to give them for eating.It seems they like cactus pads but wont eat much also pet store person have been giving them only coriander so i think they are not used to the new food so they dont eat it. what types of grasses or weeds i will get in Mumbai gardens for my tortoises and how can i break there habit of eating Coriander.When coriander is there they eat a lot and when it is not there they just nibble little and go away, I dont want to hand feed them food.

and also any vets in mumbai to help my star tortoises if needed ?

your Help appreciated. still learning there habitat

Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new tortoises!

They should not be housed in pairs.

Here are some housing tips. The title says sulcatas and leopards, but I house my stars exactly the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

More tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

If you scroll down to the list, there are lots of food suggestions here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Prashant

@JoesMum Hello thanks your trick did work now they started eating everything given to them :) and i think also started to knowing me and wife who feed them play with them specially female star tortoises. do they have any kind of attachment who feeds them and take care of them ? i think tortoises dont have such kind of thing in general

@Tom i thought that on first day itself but as i am watching them they are fine together as well. i have two separate areas but still most of the times they are found together in one hiding place which is big enough for both of them together.

@RickyGoldsmith i will share the pics soon.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am very glad to hear that they're eating well now :) Well done for sticking to it. Now you should be able to feed them without chopping everything so small. Tearing at food helps keep the beak in good shape. Still serve food wet though as it helps to keep your tortoise hydrated.

I am pretty sure they recognise the people who bring food. If it's a pleasant experience, there's no reason to hide away and they'll come running on the chance that you have something tasty. :)

Last edited: