Dig in neonate

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Wow. Where do you get your moss? I was actually looking for some this morning online.

As to the pryamiding. I've skimmed the thread, but can't seem to find where you posted temps (if you did). Now, I'm not current on the latest findings in causes of pyramiding, but could there be a correlation between growth rate and pyramiding?

Beyond that, your tortoises look super wet compared to mine. I know you finished that room recently. Did you see any changes from going to one enclosure, to the small table in that room?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Wow. Where do you get your moss? I was actually looking for some this morning online.

As to the pryamiding. I've skimmed the thread, but can't seem to find where you posted temps (if you did). Now, I'm not current on the latest findings in causes of pyramiding, but could there be a correlation between growth rate and pyramiding?

Beyond that, your tortoises look super wet compared to mine. I know you finished that room recently. Did you see any changes from going to one enclosure, to the small table in that room?
I found a marshland when taking our dog for a walk. Right at the top of a hill where water drains off into the river below there is a huge area of spagnhum moss growing. I look a right numpty walking back of the moors with two carrier bags full of moss :D
Temps in this room are 80/84f day and night.
Pyramiding is caused when torts grow in too a dry condition. Whether growing rate is a part of the problem aswell is an ongoing debate.
I'm kind of hoping letting them dry out in the sun through the window is my problem or it's just natural bone development.
We shall see in time because I have more babies with same set up but away from the window. If it is pyramiding it most certainly can't be because they are too dry. So it's either window sun or diet(protein) is what I'm thinking.
Except 2 torts they've all lived in this table from day one. Nothing changed at all except adding protein to dietary some stage. I also extended the table to around 14ft.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
You may be on to something with the window. Humidity may be fine but perhaps the direct sun dried the carapace a bit? I suspected my CME was too close when I saw minor pyramiding. These are forest/brush tortoises who don't really bask.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You may be on to something with the window. Humidity may be fine but perhaps the direct sun dried the carapace a bit? I suspected my CME was too close when I saw minor pyramiding. These are forest/brush tortoises who don't really bask.
These 2 are in the enclosure that didn't get sunlight through the window, so no drying out process at all, Exactly same care. 1st one is 4 months old and 2nd one is 6 months old, same mother different clutches.
Protein from 3 months old. This scenario suggest protein in diet is playing a roll or it's because some dig in and some don't.

IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0806.JPG

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I will say I don't feed mine much protein. I think one problem we face is isolating variables.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I checked the temp and humidity today through the window(don't know why I never did before). Baring in mind it was only 60f outside, temp up to 91f and humidity down to 70% in the basking spot caused by the window. I've blocked off the window again. :(

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I checked the temp and humidity today through the window(don't know why I never did before). Baring in mind it was only 60f outside, temp up to 91f and humidity down to 70% in the basking spot caused by the window. I've blocked off the window again. :(

70% isn't very low, although perhaps at that temperature it is. Have you checked surface temp when the sun shines through?