Digging

Marcus Harrison

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hello.

My Russian tort loves to dig, I know they like to do it but when she's done I normally push all the substrate back where it was and she begins digging again, so does she want it there to dig into or is she saying for me to move it? Any ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only little critters that mess up the habitat with their digging worse than Russians are box turtles. It's just what they do.

Your tortoise is digging to get down deep into the safe zone. Maybe the substrate isn't deep enough? Or put the hiding place over the spot where she digs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In a more natural setting, Russian tortoises dig tunnels down into the dirt (mainly under a plant), pushing the dirt behind them so they are sealed up down under the ground. She's just going to continue to try to do that until you get her set up outside where she can dig in real dirt.

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
In a more natural setting, Russian tortoises dig tunnels down into the dirt (mainly under a plant), pushing the dirt behind them so they are sealed up down under the ground. She's just going to continue to try to do that until you get her set up outside where she can dig in real dirt.
Well I live in England and I'm not at home a great deal so should I make a little area that's really deep for her to dig into?