Disgusting little tort :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mich

5 Year Member
Wonding if my leopard tort is the only disgusting one out there lol She is 3yrs old, about 6", and has a nice large 8x4 indoor enclosure (I live in Canada and we woke up to snow on the ground this morning). For her substrate I've used many diff things like soil/sand mixes, coco choir, cypress mulch, dry grasses in her dry hide .. but it never fails, every morning I go in and she has pooped in her sleeping corner and is laying in it. She has several hides avail to her but she never uses them, like more leopards she just rams herself into a corner to sleep. Aside from being unsanitary I worry about what laying in that damp yuck will do to her shell. Maybe she goes just when her lights come on so she isn't actually laying it it long? I don't know .. anyone elses tort do this?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My tort, leopard has only gone in his soaks. He is 21 or 22months now and I have never had to clean up his poop. I soak him in the bathroom sink, so down the drain it goes:D

Mich

5 Year Member
Every now and then she'll poo in her large water dish, but not often. I only soak her once in awhile because I see her drinking or tromping through her water quite often. But she poos daily in her fav corner ... I'm really hoping she's only sitting in her own filth for an hour when her light comes on before I go feed her in the morning.

Do you soak your tort daily to allow him to to his business? Even when I put mine in the tub she never poos, just sits there patiently waiting to get out :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How old is your tortoise?

A younger tortoise, I would suggest daily soaks. But if it's older, you can go longer.

That's just what some of them do. They'll eat their own poop too. All you can really do is clean up the mess whenever you see it.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Carl is even worse! He poops while he is eating, sometimes on the food, then eats the poop with the food! Disgusting!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
CourtneyAndCarl said:
Carl is even worse! He poops while he is eating, sometimes on the food, then eats the poop with the food! Disgusting!

That's is disgusting.... Yet funny :p :& Mine only poops in his soaks so I never have to clean up after him :D

Mich

5 Year Member
Ive had my tort for 7mon now and when I got her I was told she was 3yr old so I guess she is nearly 4 now.
She has a large shallow tray of water which she uses everyday, she usually toddles over for a drink as I'm trying to change, not sure of shes being social or impatient lol Even on the days I don't see her actually drinking or soaking I find a little snail trail of substrate tracked through it so I know shes been there lol She'll get a soak in the tub each Saturday (or more often if her underside is covered in poo). I've haven't caughter her eating it ... yet (gag) .. disgusting little things aren't they? :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My 18 month old used to always poop in his soak. But now he poops outside in his pen more often than not. Sometimes he eats it. I don't watch...don't want to know.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Two of my adults love to poop in their sleeping spots. Don't know why, maybe they are just plain lazy. They also love to cram themselves into a corner to sleep. Maybe it is just a crazy leopard thing...

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Rosie won't poop during soaks either. She does however poo on food she doesn't like and in the food bowl. Not sure if it's a message to me or what, but I don't take it personal :p

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
RosieRedfoot said:
Rosie won't poop during soaks either. She does however poo on food she doesn't like and in the food bowl. Not sure if it's a message to me or what, but I don't take it personal :p

I have caught my Tyrone peeing in his food dish, he used to poo in his water dish, now he will poo right next to it. I caught him once eating his poo and was thoroughly disgusted. I am now obsessed with checking his enclosure for poo and cleaning it up before he has a chance to have his disgusting snack!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
wellington said:
My tort, leopard has only gone in his soaks. He is 21 or 22months now and I have never had to clean up his poop. I soak him in the bathroom sink, so down the drain it goes:D

Mine has only gone in the soaks also except for the time I didn't leave it in long enough. Sometimes it takes up to 1/2 hour before it goes.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
I think, in my very limited experience mind you, that torts are all poo-eaters to a point; even wild torts, from what I've read, commonly eat other animal's excrement. Makes sense that they're getting from someone else what they aren't getting on their own. But in captivity...
Our Sulcata, Sig, was an expert on zoning in on the Bearded Dragon droppings ('cause Beardies like to be outside too); something about half-digested crickets and roaches, I guess. And when the door the Hermann's room doesn't get shut and the cat gets in, Gretchen will dig up what the cat just buried! It isn't ideal and we do our best to stay on top of them, but things happen and no one has died yet! ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortus said:
wellington said:

Mine has only gone in the soaks also except for the time I didn't leave it in long enough. Sometimes it takes up to 1/2 hour before it goes.

Oh, ya, I forgot. Mine did that once too. Stupid me, put him on my lap to walk around on me. Well, he walked alright, right on my stomach and pooped. Thanks for reminding me:p:D

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Greg T said:
Two of my adults love to poop in their sleeping spots. Don't know why, maybe they are just plain lazy. They also love to cram themselves into a corner to sleep. Maybe it is just a crazy leopard thing...

My Sully Roo does the same thing.. She poos and pees and just lays in it so then I have to give her a bath and scrub her plastron. My other 2 Sullies poo in their house and then kick it out the door onto the grass. I haven't seen them eat their own poo but have seen them eat the doggy surprises. Eeewww!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
wellington said:
Tortus said:
wellington said:

Oh, ya, I forgot. Mine did that once too. Stupid me, put him on my lap to walk around on me. Well, he walked alright, right on my stomach and pooped. Thanks for reminding me:p:D

I can see why you wanted to keep it suppressed!:D

my 2 leopards poo in their soaks every morning.... but that doesn't mean they ain't poopin' elsewhere! and if they are, then they are probably eating it because I never see it or smell it!

WalkingRock on the other hand has absolutely no problem filling his bunker with poop and sitting in it all day long.... I think he tries to use it as a "Grass Mattress":p

Status
Not open for further replies.