Do I need outdoor heating in Florida?

taymag

Location (City and/or State)
FL
Obviously when winter comes I will fabricate something with the handful of 30-40 degree nights, but 90% of the year we are between 70-95, do I need to add a heat source? (I would look but I am posting from my phone and cant find that main thread)

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of tortoise and how old?
It's always a good idea to have it ready to go for those just incase nights. You just don't have too turn it on until you need it.

taymag

FL
Sorry, I need to add that to my signiture.. 4 year old Sulcata

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hes still small enough that if temps were going to drop you could bring him in the house. Yet, probably big enough, at least 10 inches? To live outside without heat for the summer. Most likely it will not get below 75-80 at night or does it?

taymag

FL
75 at night most days, some nights between 70-75 but we wont see anything below 70 for a long time lol. Ya I figured I would bring him in on any cold front, ill figure something out in the time being, need to research some ideas

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
My 100 pound tortoise doesn't use any heat in the summer, by choice. It's there but he doesn't use it. Our nights never get below the mid 60s in the summer. What matters is how long it stays at the cooler temperatures. A smaller tortoise is going to cool down quicker than a large one so he is more sensitive to fluctuations.