Do I need to get...

I've had Rabbit, my female Greek Tortoise, for 2 months. She's roughly 6 months old. When do they start to mate? Do I need to get her a male in her habitat? What of they don't get along? Some advice, please. Thank you

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
She won't be ready to mate for quite some time. In fact, at six months, you don't even know if its a he or she...and won't for probably about 5ish years, when it hits tortoise puberty and starts displaying outward signs of sexual maturity.

Also, regarding getting a "friend", tortoises are solitary creatures and much prefer to be left alone. Having pairs is a bad idea that results in emotional and physical bullying. We have multiple articles on this on the forums. Please stick with just Rabbit..."she" is happiest that way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They don't ever "need" to mate. Tortoise are happiest all alone as the sole king or queen of their castle, with no competitors or combatants. If you did want more than one, you would need a very large enclosure, one male and several females. Even then it sometimes doesn't work out.

Is that your tortoise in your avatar? Its pretty small, but it looks more like a russian than a greek. Have you posted pics of your tortoise yet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Tom. The tortoise in your avatar is a Russian. And Russian tortoises do not play nice with others!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Thank you guys for the advice. I thought she was lonely. I was told she was a Greek tortoise, but the idiots at Pet Smart don't know jack! I got her sick and everything, liars! I will post a few pictures. Help me to distinguish her background, please. Thanks!

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Never ever a Greek! 10000% a Russian.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Definitely a Russian, and if bought from PETsMART, definitely older than 6 months. They sell wild caught adults and adult tortoises. Rabbit could be 4-10 years old, and maybe even older. There's no real way to know age. However if you give us some shots of the underside and tail area, we can probably sex Rabbit for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Markings on her stomach"??? Male and female Russian plastrons (stomach) look the same. You tell males from females by their tail. The male tail is very big.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not liars...just uninformed. Because some male tortoises have a very deep concave plastron and male Russian tortoises don't, some uninformed folks think male Russians are female due to the flat plastron. Happens all the time. No biggy.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Ok, here is a picture of Rabbit's plastron. I do apologize, but every time I would pick he/she up, I would be dogging pee and now, poop. So, I apologize for the following picture. Help me know of it's a he/she. Thanks, Tort Fam!

Attachments

• 20140707_161939.jpg
    20140707_161939.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11