Do it yourself pet nail trim ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel

5 Year Member
This is a problem for me. I am wondering if anyone has successful ideas for Dogs and Parrots. I am wondering if I should do the Iguana and Torts even. I've done my dogs but they don't like it. I have never done the parrots myself. I let the vet do it but I wouldn't mind saving the money if possible.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I have two dogs and I trim the nails of the short haired one. The long haired one I'm always afraid I'll get his hair caught in the clippers so I have them done by a groomer. My box turtle is only a year old and I haven't had to do that yet. I have a blue tongued skink lizard and I have done his nails. With him what I do is I trim them in the morning before I've turned on his heat lamp. This way he is not warmed up yet and therefore not as active (squirmy). I just use human toe nail clippers to do his nails. As for parrots, I have no idea as I don't have any.

Mel

5 Year Member
Good point with the lizards. The large iguana always scratches upy husbands arms when he transports him. Thanks.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I have clipped the nails on so many critters! For birds I find it is easiest to place their chest against yours, cover their wings with one hand, and use clippers like these;

Nail-Clippers-Rabbits-Guinea-Pigs-Small-Animal.jpg

They have curved blades so it makes a nice dull edge, and doesn't pinch their quick as badly if you cut close, making it a lot more comfortable for them. If you have rather large parrots you may want someone else to help them, and you just clip the nails.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've done nails (and wings) for the last 26 years. For smaller birds, cats and lizards, I prefer to use cat nail scissors with the little notch in the blades. For bigger parrots dogs or tortoises I much prefer a dremmel tool with a sanding wheel. I can do a much better job, get closer, and not leave any jagged edges. It takes a few times for them to get used to the noise, but once they do, its so much better, in my opinion. With time and practice, you will get much more comfortable with it. Its always good to have someone who is experienced with it to help you out at first.

Note: Do not start cutting unless you have some styptic powder already on hand and close by with the top off.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use the nail clipper like above for my dogs nails and my birds beak, he's old and lazy and won't keep if filed down enough. I use finger nail clippers for my birds nails, have only had to trim them once. He does better with his nails then his beak. Haven't had to trim lizard yet. Hopefully he has the right set up and won't have to have it done. My cat is completely declawed. I find the bird is best wrapped in a towel. For a dog that hates it. Put them up on a table. I used to be a groomer. Having them up on a table performs miracles with how still they become. For people with dogs that have black toe nails. You can see the quick in the underside of the nail. Cut just before it.

Mel

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I've done nails (and wings) for the last 26 years. For smaller birds, cats and lizards, I prefer to use cat nail scissors with the little notch in the blades. For bigger parrots dogs or tortoises I much prefer a dremmel tool with a sanding wheel. I can do a much better job, get closer, and not leave any jagged edges. It takes a few times for them to get used to the noise, but once they do, its so much better, in my opinion. With time and practice, you will get much more comfortable with it. Its always good to have someone who is experienced with it to help you out at first.

Note: Do not start cutting unless you have some styptic powder already on hand and close by with the top off.

I tried this technique with my dogs. They freaked. I have a product called New Skin.

wellington said:
I use the nail clipper like above for my dogs nails and my birds beak, he's old and lazy and won't keep if filed down enough. I use finger nail clippers for my birds nails, have only had to trim them once. He does better with his nails then his beak. Haven't had to trim lizard yet. Hopefully he has the right set up and won't have to have it done. My cat is completely declawed. I find the bird is best wrapped in a towel. For a dog that hates it. Put them up on a table. I used to be a groomer. Having them up on a table performs miracles with how still they become. For people with dogs that have black toe nails. You can see the quick in the underside of the nail. Cut just before it.

I'll have to check the black nails on my poodle. Thx

I just purchased a Sure Clip which has 3x magnification and light with it. While it is sold for people it has a wide opening for thick hard nails. I am hoping this gives a clear look at the quick.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
For our parrots, I clip their nails while they are in their cage. When they are hanging on the side, I have very good access to their nails. It took some times to get them used to the trimmer, but for me this is the easiest way.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
When I do my parrots ... I use the towel technique works great...remember not to squeeze the chest... Wrap the parrot in a towel... Hold the head under the jaw and have someone clip the nails... Be very careful not to clip the wick... Even a lg macaw can't stand to loose more than a few drops of blood... So as Tom recommends have septic powder or corn starch at hand just in case...

Option two is to use cement perches..

Good luck

Mel

5 Year Member
CJSTorts said:
For our parrots, I clip their nails while they are in their cage. When they are hanging on the side, I have very good access to their nails. It took some times to get them used to the trimmer, but for me this is the easiest way.

I have been able to sneak in a couple like this.

Tony the tank said:
When I do my parrots ... I use the towel technique works great...remember not to squeeze the chest... Wrap the parrot in a towel... Hold the head under the jaw and have someone clip the nails... Be very careful not to clip the wick... Even a lg macaw can't stand to loose more than a few drops of blood... So as Tom recommends have septic powder or corn starch at hand just in case...

Option two is to use cement perches..

Good luck

I have a cement perch but it doesn't seem to be enough. I suppose I'd have to remove the other perch types to assure she was on it enough. I was considering to do the burrito towel wrap but my hubby thinks it may change the bird's disposition to me. I'm to the point of just gpoing for it. It is such an inconvenience to travel to the vet as well as $

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
New skin is not suitable. You need some styptic powder. Sold at any pet store. Eventually you WILL hit the quick, and you will need to have something to stop the bleeding on hand and ready.

The towel method is fine and done correctly, it WILL change the birds disposition toward you... in a good way. Just be calm cool and collected about it. Do it matter of factly like its no big deal, because it isn't. When you are done, gently set the toweled bird on the ground and remove the towel. Then, as if you totally know what you are doing, reach down with a frank, "Step up.", and go about your business like it didn't happen. Nothing wrong with some hanging out time or some treats afterward, if you feel like it, but don't feel or show any guilt about what just happened. You had a task to complete, you completed it, now on with your day.

Do NOT show any trepidation, hesitation or fearfulness. Do not say sorry, or FEEL sorry before, during or after. Remember, you are this bird's boss. If you want to towel him/her up and clip the nails you can do so anytime you want and there's not a darn thing he/she can do about it. Done correctly, this will make a parrot love and respect you. The people who leave the room or are squeamish about this are perceived as weak leaders by the bird. No social animal wants to be a part of a group led by a weak leader. Some of my parrots will just sit on my hand and let me clip nails with no restraint at all.

Mel

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom. Sounds like you have quite the experience. I heard cornstarch was suitable also. But I sure will check into the styptic powder with the crew I have here. My fear is the hitting the Quick more than anything. For some reason one of my dog's nails seem to take care of itself yet the other dogs seem to get long. I tried a nail clipper with a light and magnifying glass but it was awkward to concentrate looking through it while actually clipping. I make sure to do it after baths to soften the nail somewhat. The poor birds await my husband's "I'm gonna take them to the vet." Maybe I could get my daughter to assist me. Thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.