Palm Harbor Florida
Give your opinions

DO Reptiles Have Personalities?
Do Some And Not Others?
Any Personal Experiences?

Well DO They?

liliabug

5 Year Member
I think they do. I've had a few iguanas and each of them was different. This is my first tortoise and I'm still getting to know him but I'm sure he'll have a personality too.

f burkart said:
Give your opinions

DO Reptiles Have Personalities?
Do Some And Not Others?
Any Personal Experiences?

Well DO They?

chadk

10 Year Member!
Of course they do. All my torts act differently. Same for my snakes and lizards. I'm sure it is not obvious at first for some people to notice, but once you get to know them, it is very clear. Kinda like people I guess...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I only have one reptile, but I feel she definitely has a personality. It's not expressed as overtly as the cats or the birds, but it's definitely there.

I miss Meg! She would have some good reptile personality stories. And no one would doubt the oversized personality of Maggie's Bob...

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Greetings F Burkhart ~

I would completely stand behind the fact that ALL of my rep's have distinct personalities ~ My Snortie Tortie will come a-running, while MR. Sweeetheart is rather shy. Sir Leopheart is friendly enuf, but a bit intimidated by the other two ('cept when it comes to the food; he'll scramble right to the top of the pile, lol)

Even my snakes have different personality traits ~ Queen Cleopatra is somewhat skittish {altho she does love to snuggle in while I'm kicking back on my chair}, and usually does not bury herself much in the bedding, while King Tut, altho friendlier & more inquisitive when he's not in his home, loves to dig in & just have his head and tail peeking thru.

Anyways, just my 5 cents worth (A penny for the thought of each critter named, lol) :cool:
Be well ~ Purpod

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I believe they have different personalities as well.
I have two leopard geckos. My male, Echo, is grumpy. He does not like to be handled (he will squirm and chirp) and he pretty much just hides all day, except for when I feed him. My leo Clem is the exact opposite. She is so friendly and I used to not be able to put my hand in her tank to feed her or anything without her trying to climb up my arm!! :D
My Russian Nelson is friendly and adventurous.

Stephanie Logan said:
I miss Meg! She would have some good reptile personality stories.

Did she leave?! :(

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Absolutely, the higher the life form the more defined the personality. Personality is controlled/found in the prefrontal cortex of the brain. So the larger the brain, you'd think this would become more developed right? See the next episode of cops to test that theory.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Of course they do, both from genetics and from experiences/captivity. Its not only the physical differences in species that are significant in natural selection.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Definitely! I have a Three Toed Boxie, who made me laugh all the time. She wasn't shy a bit, and did the silliest things.
007-3.jpg

I have another one that is afraid of everyone and everything. Sometimes I have to feed her by hand with only her head sticking out. She is very elusive and rarely comes out of her substrate.
008-18.jpg

009-9.jpg

Then there's my Eastern Boxie, who is a character. Not shy at all, very curious, and if she see's you she will watch what you are doing for the longest time, eat anything out of your hand....sweet as sugar.
020-2.jpg

Even my little hatchling is so funny to watch chasing a pill bug all over there vivarium, or trying to eat a worm that is bigger than she is. For one so little, she is not shy at all.
001-25.jpg

My tortoise, Pio, has the sweetest personality and seems to crave company. When he's outside he will sit my me for hours while I read. After he discovered worms, he is constantly searching for more....like someone who get's up for work each day...very funny little guy.
005-24.jpg

Every one is different, and each has their own personality.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You put this in the debatable section. What is there to debate?:D

Uh... yes.

f burkart

10 Year Member!
Palm Harbor Florida
Roachman26 said:
You put this in the debatable section. What is there to debate?:D

Uh... yes.

lol my friend was telling me that his turtle didnt have a personality so i wanted to know what others thought

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes! I think my tort has way more personality than any other animal breed I've ever met (even dogs & cats). That is the first thing people say after spending time with Trevor...he has way more personality than they would think.

Homerist

10 Year Member!
Personally, I believe all animals have their own personalities,
be it hippos, elephants, dogs, tortoises, etc.

Maybe except those that has suffer some form of mental disorder. =(
its sad isn't it?
i have seen a couple of stray dogs that seem to have gone mad.. and the authorities came
to catch these poor chaps and i believe they were put to sleep.

so.. do tortoises and turtles may go bonkers too?
*curious*

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
One of Chad's did: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-9191.html :p

I was looking through this thread again, and it struck me how perfectly terryo's photos illustrate her tortoise's and turtles' personalities. Every time she talks about Pio, I just want to give him a hug. How captivating they all are! Keep those photo essays coming, Terry! :D

M

Maggie Cummings

Sure they do, haven't you met Bob???

2afhmyd.jpg

2zsxpiq.jpg

Wow, my pictures got huge! Sorry about that, I'll have my son fix it

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
ohhh Bob!! I think those pictures are the perfect size :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Yes! What Katie said. ;)

Big Bob needs Big Photos. And more. More photos of Bob is always a good thing. :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Sure they do, haven't you met Bob???
That would answer the whole thread!

Yay Bob!! Everybody loves Bob...We could look at Bob pictures all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.