Do they bite hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noved32

5 Year Member
Okay so I have a male 10 yr old Russian named Bob whom I love. I hand feed him a lot of times and sit and pet his head or legs or back. Today he eat the piece I gave him and I was just chilling with my hand near him. He tried to take a nibble but I pulled away.

Do they bite hard? If I let him bite me can he actually draw blood or do they just nibble.. I wouldn't mind him nibbling if it didn't hurt..I know I'm crazy just don't know how hard they bite? Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I've been bittnen by water turtles many times, it usually feels like a pinch. They can draw blood, and it is not advisable to hand feed, because they tend to associate your hand with food, as you have learned.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Utah Lynn said:
They bite very hard.

... and they hold on for awhile until they realize you're not food. Its not pleasant. I wouldn't advise handfeeding if biting is a habit of your tort.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Mine has been known to occasionally be interested in nibbling my toes, and he definitely bites the dogs if they get to close to me. I would equate it to a firm pinch.

minvikfan11

5 Year Member
Vinton, Virginia
Mine has never tried to bite me, anyone else nor other animals. I have hand fed her and touched her face and not once has she tried to bite me.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I have been bitten by a RES and it drew blood and it hurt!!!!!! But my Russian's have never shown the slightest interest in my fingers. I've been bitten by a 4-5" desert tortoise though and it just tickled. :)

noved32

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the info.. I love my tort and if a little nibble didn't hurt I would let him but maybe I will just keep fingers away..!! Lol sooo I saw someone post that their RT eats pumpkin? Can I give my RT pumpkin and is it like all fruits just a little once every few weeks??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Since pumpkin is in season you can bend the once every few weeks rule, since they won't be eating it year round. I think right now twice a week won't hurt.

Nami The tortoise

5 Year Member
Texas
I would imagine, any tortoise or turtle would have a painful bite/nibble. I personally know many people with " a little to nippy" torts, and have had occasions when they were left with a bloody hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.