Do tortoises play?

Dragon

Location (City and/or State)
michagin
Tammy please. Not cool.
your right our torts dont play at least now in any we would inturept as play but i do think they find ways to amuse themselfs from time to time, like walking over tree limbs or resting on a smooth rock.... as humans however even adults need some form of play and we tend to incorpit into our animal childrens lifes.... The tort covers are not really for our torts but more for us....some humans just like to dress up there animals from time.... as long the covers arent on them for very long i dont think it hurts or really anoyes the tort.....as its another way for there humans to interact with them and give them attention which i do think they like.... could be wrong but as long as it makes the humans happy and dosnt harm the tort i dont see any harm in it

zolasmum

5 Year Member
your right our torts dont play at least now in any we would inturept as play but i do think they find ways to amuse themselfs from time to time, like walking over tree limbs or resting on a smooth rock.... as humans however even adults need some form of play and we tend to incorpit into our animal childrens lifes.... The tort covers are not really for our torts but more for us....some humans just like to dress up there animals from time.... as long the covers arent on them for very long i dont think it hurts or really anoyes the tort.....as its another way for there humans to interact with them and give them attention which i do think they like.... could be wrong but as long as it makes the humans happy and dosnt harm the tort i dont see any harm in it
I absolutely agree. I certainly think Zola amuses himself stroking my shoe (with my foot in it) and pulling gently at my stretchy trouser hem with his beak, then letting it spring back as he watches - not exactly play by some standards, but it amuses him, and it keeps him entertained for ages. And since I am involved in what he is doing, I can't help thinking he chooses to do it as a sort of bonding with me - he doesn't do it with anyone else !
I think the tortoise covers are really a way of showing our affection for them - why not, if the tortoise doesn't mind.
It's what humans do with their babies too, after all - cute outfits and silly hairstyles !
Angie