Does anyone else feel obsessed with their tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Maybe this is a silly thread, but is it normal to feel kind of obsessed with your new tortoise? Or even ones you've had for a while?

I've had mine for over 2 months now, and I feel like I constantly need to look at it. The enclosure is behind a blanket in a nook in the house and I'm always peeking in when I'm home. When I'm at work, I'm often thinking about going home so I can check on it. Now I'm growing food for it in the house.

I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way. I've had reptiles for over 20 years but this is a first.

laura13617

5 Year Member
midwest
I think I'm obsessed.
I've had Lyra since mothers day last year and I'm still constantly checking Lyra to make sure her temps are ok and she as enough water to sit it or drink. I even dream about how I can make her life better.
Since we brought Yuri home home I'm checking on him alot too because he is not as active as he was when we first brought him home. I think he's trying to hibernate to some extent so I'm scouring the posts to get more info on that.

Im think of adding on and getting another tortoise..I'm hooked.

I enjoy watching them and talking to them, sometimes more than talking to people:)

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
Yayyy! I am not the only tort obsessed person out there!! Haha, my hubby and kids thinks I am nuts, but that's ok, because there are more out there just like me! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Me too! At home I check on Elsa throughout the day. I look to see how much she's eaten and I check her temps and humidity. At work, I try not to worry about her room getting too warm (it never does). I frequently daydream about changes to make to her enclosure. I'm growing stuff at home for her too. When I get home, the first thing I want to do is check on her.:)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
You are among friends here... Even after many years I fuss over my torts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ummmm.... HELLOOOOOOO!

Where do you think you are? Haven't you been paying ANY attention here at all?!? :D

There was discussion of calling this site, "The Turtle and Tortoise addicts 'get your fix on' enablers anonymous, and encourage you to get more and more tortoises.com", but TFO was just much easier to type out... :)

SDDTMama

5 Year Member
I *know* I'm obsessed. I take Owen on "walks". I wake up early to prepare/ dice his breakfast. I stress over his bowel movements. I "bathe" him daily. I worry about his light cycles, temperatures, and humidity, not to mention his overall 'happiness' with me. I talk to him, and get a little hurt if he won't come out of his hide to come see me when I get home and call to him (90% of the time he does, though).
The funniest (and most unexpected) thing to me is how obsessed my boyfriend is. We're taking a 2 week long trip up the west coast to Canada early next year, and my boyfriend seriously asked if we could take Owen with us. :rolleyes: "Ummm, no, honey, it's illegal to take him out of state, let alone to another country."

Can you imagine declaring that at the border? "One Mojave Desert Tortoise hatchling in travel tank . . ." :rolleyes:

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I'm not obsessed, but Sheldon is a member of the family. He gets as much attention as the cat. He has days when he gets treats, he gets to go on walks, etc. We even play with him. :p

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I've been obsessed for years. At my last CTTC meeting, everyone was getting a good laugh when I say I weigh all my turtles/tortoises every month and chart it on Excel. If there was a "Turtles Anonymous" I would be the leader!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I know I am... :) I've had mine for 4 years, and added to my little herd. Instead of boring my friends going on and on about my torts, I started a tort blog... the link is in my profile. :)

laura13617 said:
I think I'm obsessed.
I've had Lyra since mothers day last year and I'm still constantly checking Lyra to make sure her temps are ok and she as enough water to sit it or drink. I even dream about how I can make her life better.
Since we brought Yuri home home I'm checking on him alot too because he is not as active as he was when we first brought him home. I think he's trying to hibernate to some extent so I'm scouring the posts to get more info on that.

Im think of adding on and getting another tortoise..I'm hooked.

I enjoy watching them and talking to them, sometimes more than talking to people:)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
tortadise said:
Every second is tortoise something for me.

That's only funny because it's true. :D

I'm already thinking about getting my next tortoise. After this one grows out of the enclosure I'm getting a pardalis pardalis hatchling. I've already talked to my breeder about it and he said he'd give me a discount as a return customer.

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
I've been toying with the idea of setting up a network camera so I could monitor my baby sully when I'm not at home.
This is normal right???? :D:tort::D

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
srod said:
I've been toying with the idea of setting up a network camera so I could monitor my baby sully when I'm not at home.

Of course it's normal. I'd do the same thing except I work at night, so it would be boring footage. I'd still watch it though...

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Its strange how torts bring it out of us. My leopard is pretty shy bit still personable all the same. Im considering getting a sully next so I can have a more interactive tort.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Yep, I know I am! I can't stop thinking about them and hoping they're OK. And on my free time, I'm always out hunting for cute tortoise pictures :D

EKLC

5 Year Member
srod said:

I had a webcam that I could access from work. I also had a USB thermometer that would text me if the temperature dropped below 78.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yes, I am obsessed. Everyday, there is something I see in them I didn't see before, or I realize there's something else I need to buy or build for them! After my family, my life revolves around the chelonians!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Maybe we should star a 12 step program for tortoise addiction.
Personally i would refuse to participate.
Me, have an addiction to tortoises?
Guilty!
😱

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
EKLC said:
srod said:

I had a webcam that I could access from work. I also had a USB thermometer that would text me if the temperature dropped below 78.

Wow! I just googled a USB thermometer. Looks like I'll be adding that to my list of things to set up! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.