Does your Tortoise do this

CEvans

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
So my guy follows the dog around sometimes and when my dog did his number 2 business the tortoise went right for the pile like it was candy. You should have seen me kicking it away and how fast that bugger moved to get more pieces. I have made it a habit to check for piles after the dog is fed. However, things are going to get missed. I usually picked up every morning but now I am doing twice a day. Is this normal and I want to say can it be good for them?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Your tortoise should not be allowed where your dog is. Do you not have a secure enclosure?

ariesxiao

Seattle
How old is your tortoise? If it is a young one, the dog may have enough power to bite the tortoise shell and make it broken. I even see some mice can bite and break young tortoise shell

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings...

To answer your question, from what I have read over the years is that yes, coprophagy is very common in both wild and pet tortoises.

From another website source : http://tort-time.com/post/99662821661/my-tortoise-keeps-eating-his-poop-why-is-that-he

As gross as it sounds, its pretty common for tortoises and turtles to eat their own poo and the poo of their roommates. Truth is, most of our animal friends do this. It’s normal for the most part. Sulcatas and Red foots have a reputation for grossing out their humans with this practice. I’ve read that RESs do as well. Most baby shells get curious. ”What’s that thing? let me sniff it, taste it, step in it and walk all over the enclosure with it.”

In regards to wild tortoises or turtles it’s called coprophagy. The little ones will eat the poo of the other torts/turts to gain symbiotic bacteria with those in their environment. Sometimes they will eat the poo of other animals to get the undigested nutrients. This is in the wild, mind you. It is useful in the wild but not so much in captivity. If they are being fed a healthy diet, they shouldn’t need poo. That fact, however, doesn’t stop them from going for it.

While it’s generally harmless and has probably happened to those of you who think “my tort has never done that!”, you do need to be cautious. Eating the poo of other torts that might be ill (but not obviously so) can infect your tort. This is one of the reasons it’s said that housing different species together isn’t a good idea.

It’s also a real problem when introducing a newly adopted tortoise or turtle. These guys (of any age and species) can carry parasites that are excreted in their stool. This condition is one of the most common issues in pet store purchased and wild caught turtles and tortoises. It’s a health issue that can be treated but can also be deadly if ignored. It’s also not something you’ll see unless the issue has gotten incredibly serious. So if poo eating is happening, it’s important to make sure that either tortoise, whether newly adopted or not (they can re infect themselves), is parasite free. Get a fecal exam!

While it’s a normal thing, it doesn’t mean you should leave the poo around the enclosure waiting for them to eat it. That should go without saying. You’re feeding them a healthy diet, they don’t need poo. If you see it, clean it up. This is just regular care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you de-worm your dog with heart worm medication, or with an Ivermectin product, the tortoise will die from eating that type of poo.

It's best to set up an area in the yard that the dog can't get into and keep the tortoise in there.

Last edited:

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Yvonne accidentally said your dog would die. It is your tortoise that would die from eating poop that has heart worm preventative medicine in it.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Because I live in the high desert...and my dogs have no access to other dogs...they are not vaccinated past their initial series of puppy shots! That having been said, EVERY sulcata I ever had has a taste for dog leftovers! Not everyday...but wild sulcata feed on carrion and scat, as well as any live prey they can overcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne accidentally said your dog would die. It is your tortoise that would die from eating poop that has heart worm preventative medicine in it.
LOL! It's good to know people understand what I meant to say. Thank you. I'll go correct my post now (hangs head in shame).