Dog saved the day!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
First let me start by saying that I know torts and dogs don't mix, and mine are never permitted together unsupervised.

And now let me tell you a story: Tonight we couldn't find Morticia, one of our CDTs, in her enclosure. We had been looking in all her usual hiding spots for over an hour -- under rocks and logs and piles of leaves. Our CDTs just woke up from brumation, and are sleeping inside at night, and getting a couple hours of sun outside each day. It's been cold and rainy here in LA, and I was panicking at the thought of leaving her out all night to potentially get soaked and sick. Finally about to give up for the night, we let Dude, our rescue mix, come out and look with us. In less than 30 seconds he started sniffing a pile of leaves we'd been over with the flashlight 3 times. We dug down in the leaves and lo and behold, there she was. Now she's snug in her night box in the laundry room, and Dude got a pig's ear for a reward.

Torts and dogs don't mix, it's true -- and I have no doubt that Dude would chomp on Morticia if he was ever left alone with her. But man, was I glad to have his help tonight.

Here's Dude supervising bath time, BTW...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457404821.778925.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
there's nothing wrong with your dogs and tortoises being together as long as you are there. my dogs are outside with my purchases all the time but I'm always there.just like you were.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Great story! My retriever couldn't ever find my tortoise for me. He was always surprised when Charlie got near him, like he couldn't smell him. He could always find a cat or possum though, even when we didn't want him to.

I love that one ear up look.