Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
@Tom Did you train it ?
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You guys all know me through my love of all things tortoise. I spend lots of time here learning and sharing what I've learned about tortoises. Makes sense. Its a TORTOISE forum!

This article is a glimpse for you all into my personal life. This is my career. This is what I do everyday. Half the time I spend on TFO is sitting on a film set waiting for them to be ready to film the animal scenes. There is a lot of time spent sitting around.

I got Seven's father as a puppy in 2001. I raised him, competed and won national championships in a very tough dog sport with him, and used him in literally 100s of movies, TV shows, commercials and music videos. Remember the awful dog attack scene in "D'Jango Unchained". That was Seven's father, uncle and my Dutch shepard. Seven's father Bullet was the best dog that ever lived. I think Yvonne got to meet him years ago during a visit to her house.

I got Seven's mother, Sophie in 2008. Raised her from an 8 week old puppy too, and she also worked as a film dog. I bred Bullet to Sophie and got seven pups on June 23rd of 2011. We knew there would be seven pups because we did an ultrasound on Sophie. Sophie started giving birth at about 1am. Six pups were born through the night, and my wife finally had to go shower and get ready for work. She passed through on her way to go to work as Seven was being born and watched me remove the placental sac and clip the umbilical. She said: "Let me see him", motioning me over to her. I held him up and she studied him for a moment, concluding: "If we keep that one, his name is Seven". Who am I to argue?

One of Seven's brothers, who we affectionately called George, was sold to another company that I work with (friends), an he is also a fantastic working film dog. He looks more like a Tervuren, but they are littermates.

The director who is quoted in the linked article is one of the best I've ever worked with. His enthusiasm, energy, and exceptionally positive attitude were are very contagious. We truly had a "dream team" assembled to film those episodes, and while it was all very challenging, it was some of the most enjoyable time I've ever spent on a film set, and some of the best dog work of my career. My co-trainer is a good friend, the cast and crew are all awesome, and even the weather was great! Only Seven's father was capable of the kind of shots we did. None of my other dogs, or any other film dogs could have done some of those shots. Bullet was, and Seven is, a very special, very unique thing in my business. Few dogs can do real aggression, snarls, and attacks on cue, and also be able to do "character work" where they are calm, precise and personable.

I kept hoping they would make an action figure or stuffed animal of Bullet. They almost did when they made "Jonah Hex", but the movie flopped. It never happened. Because of this current show, Seven DOES have his own Funko Pop figure seen below, but Norman is pushing for a REAL action figure of Seven and him together. I hope he succeeds.
41vqKSM72cL._AC_.jpg

Seven is laying here sleeping beside me as I type this in a hotel room in Georgia. Anyone who is a fan of "Dog", has a lot to look forward to this coming season on TWD. We drove all over town today, washed our rental car, got a sun shade for the window as warmer weather is coming, and went to our big open field to run around. He's conked out now.

And yes Barb, that was him in Chicago on one of his first big jobs. "Divergent". He was the back-up dog, and his brother that I mentioned was the hero dog that time.

Thank you @Pistachio's Pamperer for posting this. I don't think I would have seen it otherwise, and it truly made my day.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma

Long answer: You guys all know me through my love of all things tortoise. I spend lots of time here learning and sharing what I've learned about tortoises. Makes sense. Its a TORTOISE forum!

This article is a glimpse for you all into my personal life. This is my career. This is what I do everyday. Half the time I spend on TFO is sitting on a film set waiting for them to be ready to film the animal scenes. There is a lot of time spent sitting around.

I got Seven's father as a puppy in 2001. I raised him, competed and won national championships in a very tough dog sport with him, and used him in literally 100s of movies, TV shows, commercials and music videos. Remember the awful dog attack scene in "D'Jango Unchained". That was Seven's father, uncle and my Dutch shepard. Seven's father Bullet was the best dog that ever lived. I think Yvonne got to meet him years ago during a visit to her house.

I got Seven's mother, Sophie in 2008. Raised her from an 8 week old puppy too, and she also worked as a film dog. I bred Bullet to Sophie and got seven pups on June 23rd of 2011. We knew there would be seven pups because we did an ultrasound on Sophie. Sophie started giving birth at about 1am. Six pups were born through the night, and my wife finally had to go shower and get ready for work. She passed through on her way to go to work as Seven was being born and watched me remove the placental sac and clip the umbilical. She said: "Let me see him", motioning me over to her. I held him up and she studied him for a moment, concluding: "If we keep that one, his name is Seven". Who am I to argue?

One of Seven's brothers, who we affectionately called George, was sold to another company that I work with (friends), an he is also a fantastic working film dog. He looks more like a Tervuren, but they are littermates.

The director who is quoted in the linked article is one of the best I've ever worked with. His enthusiasm, energy, and exceptionally positive attitude were are very contagious. We truly had a "dream team" assembled to film those episodes, and while it was all very challenging, it was some of the most enjoyable time I've ever spent on a film set, and some of the best dog work of my career. My co-trainer is a good friend, the cast and crew are all awesome, and even the weather was great! Only Seven's father was capable of the kind of shots we did. None of my other dogs, or any other film dogs could have done some of those shots. Bullet was, and Seven is, a very special, very unique thing in my business. Few dogs can do real aggression, snarls, and attacks on cue, and also be able to do "character work" where they are calm, precise and personable.

I kept hoping they would make an action figure or stuffed animal of Bullet. They almost did when they made "Jonah Hex", but the movie flopped. It never happened. Because of this current show, Seven DOES have his own Funko Pop figure seen below, but Norman is pushing for a REAL action figure of Seven and him together. I hope he succeeds.
View attachment 320389

Seven is laying here sleeping beside me as I type this in a hotel room in Georgia. Anyone who is a fan of "Dog", has a lot to look forward to this coming season on TWD. We drove all over town today, washed our rental car, got a sun shade for the window as warmer weather is coming, and went to our big open field to run around. He's conked out now.

And yes Barb, that was him in Chicago on one of his first big jobs. "Divergent". He was the back-up dog, and his brother that I mentioned was the hero dog that time.

Thank you @Pistachio's Pamperer for posting this. I don't think I would have seen it otherwise, and it truly made my day.
Very cool man!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I remember that agression snarl, you had him do that for us. It was impressive! Hubby would have taken Seven home in a heart beat and although he loves and cares for our animals he is not one to ever say we need another one. But he liked everything about Seven.
I hope they do a life like action figure too. How cool is that. The one above is cute though.

AgataP

Seattle, WA

View attachment 320389

That is really awesome. Thank you for sharing!!

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Found a best of Dog clip on youtube. Cool!!! So Tom, I figure your close by, I can see Seven go off screen intentionally and I assume to you. But how much do you work with the actors to teach them how to give your dog commands? Maybe you don’t have to coach the actors so much because your dog is superior ? (AKA bad a**)