Donald's Thread

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Thanks Maggie, I've enjoyed raising him and Squiggy this winter inside, but looking forward to warmer weather so they can have more outside time. Sulcatas are Great.
I love their intelligence and the big personalities. I laugh and enjoy looking at other's pictures and stories. I have Knobby age unknown (wt 25 lbs), and Big Sam 8 pushing 50. Yesterday I had out of town company I haven't seen for almost 5 yrs, they got 'the tour' and the girl says as she squeezed behind me, "I remember Knobby when he first came here and you said he was kind sick and I could see he wasn't normal, and he was a bunch smaller and he rammed me and bruised my ankle!" Now I don't remember this but she is obviously hiding behind me in a little fear so she says "and he's SO much bigger now".Me "oh honey he's adjusted now he's a real nice tortoise" Big Sam comes out of the night box (abt 30 lbs bigger then Knobby) so her attention is distracted and screams (sorta) as my 'easy keeper' Knobby rushes up behind her, rams her mid calf scratching her feakin calf...Knobby, my easy keeper, never has been aggressive to anything, including me, but evidently he had taken a dislike to her and remembered.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Donald and Squiggy had some outside time this week.Dand S 3 4 2020.jpg I'm baby setting one of their clutch mates while it's owner is working Bike Week in Daytona. It's the first time I've seen it since he picked it up. Picture 001 3 2 2020.jpgYou can see from the pic some changes need to be made in it's care.Picture.3 8 2020.jpgDonald reached a pound and a half this week.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I measured Donald a couple days ago he is 6 1/4 inches and weighed him this morning before taking him outside for a little sun and exercise. 4 7 2020 Picture 004.jpg 4 7 2020 Picture 005.jpg I measure him by laying a ruler flat on a surface against a wall and setting him on the ruler and place him against the wall face first. He will be 2 pounds soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a fine looking tortoise Len. Amazing the difference in the sibling. Do you know how they were/are tasing that one? Obviously too dry. Maybe a MVB? Or one of those "intense basking bulb" spot lights from the pet store?

Your growth rate is rivaling Dean's, and that's really saying something. Do you feed him Mazuri?

Len B

10 Year Member!
They thought they were doing everything I told them to do, BUT as you can see they weren't. I still have it here and it is doing fine and is also a good eater. One of the main things was he wasn't soaking because it was setting in it's water bowl a lot and also the uv tube was above a screen or glass top I can't remember which one. He even saw the setup here. I have 2 uv lights that I alternate on and off and 2 che's controlled with separate lamp dimmers, one on each end. One has a wood barrier below it so it doesn't get as hot on that end at ground level. That's the end he sleeps in. The lights and che's are all inside the enclosed area. Yes I feed Mazuri along with a large selection of weeds and leaves when available. With the mild winter we had some weeds available all winter and the leaves are back now. I feed them several times a day, sometimes 4 times a day. They like fresh greens and will consume more than if I put a bunch in for the day in the morning. I either cut or just rip the long leafy greens into smaller pieces and it seems I get less waste by doing that. I keep the temps a little higher than what most people do and it seems to work for them when young.