Dot may be ill...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
when they're that size and they start to go downhill it's very hard to reverse. luck is going to be the major factor right now keep up Soaks and wait

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
so sorry my condolences

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
refresh my memory please. are they from the same clutch? the same breeder

UnicornSploosh

5 Year Member
Redding, Ca
Just another update: Dash is still kicking. He's (she?) Is trying to eat and wanders around a little bit. Weight is still down. Shell is getting softer. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be losing him as well. We will see.

UnicornSploosh

5 Year Member
Redding, Ca
I just wanted to let you all know that Dash is gone now too. They put up a good fight and even rallied for a bit andwas eating and everything. But, they both passed on. Thank you so much for your help.

I've decided I'm going to adopt when I'm ready for another sulcata. There are a lot of beautiful adults that need homes and I can provide a good one contrary to my bad hatchling experiences thanks to the help I've gotten from here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry to read this. It's never easy to lose them.

Next year, if you're ready for another and feel like a long drive, contact me and I'll save one for you. I get in many sulcatas throughout the summer.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
my condolences on dot & dash. Sadly tortoises don't know how to give up they just keep fighting till the end sad and tragic but brave

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I am truly sorry for your loss. Bye any chance could they have roamed around any area that was sprayed with "home defense" type poisons, or may have accidentally been fed grass from an are that was treated. I only ask because I recall reading a post of a large sulcata that went through the same symptoms. The owner discovered that his wife treated the outside of the house with a home barrier bug spray..

UnicornSploosh

5 Year Member
Redding, Ca
No, we don't treat with any pesticides anywhere because we have too many animals. My boyfriend lost a cat to pesticide poisoning and is really rigid about what we do about bugs. Which is probably why I've been bitten by wolf spiders three times this year.

Yvonne, when I am all ready for a new tortoise (which won't be until we've bought our small farm, hopefully this spring and built an enclosure) I will contact you. It's not that far of a drive. The rescue I was considering going through is in Portland which is about 8 hours away.

Thank you everyone for your support through all this. You guys really are great and helped my little ones have the best life the could have.