Rescued Juvenile- Severe Pyramiding, Worried it may die

Sobergrower

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
So I just took in an 18 month old Sulcata… I’ve been researching tortoise care & some people we know had two young ones… when I saw them I noticed the female was in particularly bad shape (the male probably is too but the female is worse) I immediately noticed her disfigured shell & decided to take action. However, she’s not eating, drinking, hardly moves, I just ordered all the supplies for her tortoise table, right now it’s not warm enough for her & the heat emitters come today. I’ve had her 2 days & it’s been 75F. I gave her a warm soak with some baby food but I’m not sure if she’s just still adjusting to the new home or what else can I do to make her happy, comfortable, well, Better…. I ordered critical care life saving nutritional food … I have a full spectrum light on her for now until other supplies get here today. I’m just so worried for her what can I do ?! I also put some water soluable D3 in her water dish…..OH & there’s a cuttlefish bone in her habitat with some orchard hay

zolasmum

5 Year Member
So I just took in an 18 month old Sulcata… I’ve been researching tortoise care & some people we know had two young ones… when I saw them I noticed the female was in particularly bad shape (the male probably is too but the female is worse) I immediately noticed her disfigured shell & decided to take action. However, she’s not eating, drinking, hardly moves, I just ordered all the supplies for her tortoise table, right now it’s not warm enough for her & the heat emitters come today. I’ve had her 2 days & it’s been 75F. I gave her a warm soak with some baby food but I’m not sure if she’s just still adjusting to the new home or what else can I do to make her happy, comfortable, well, Better…. I ordered critical care life saving nutritional food … I have a full spectrum light on her for now until other supplies get here today. I’m just so worried for her what can I do ?! I also put some water soluable D3 in her water dish…..OH & there’s a cuttlefish bone in her habitat with some orchard hay
Well done for taking on this poor little tortoise.You are obviously going to try really hard to help her - thank you for being such a good kind person. I am not an expert, but I do know tortoises can take quite a while to get settled in a new environment, so don't worry -that's quite normal. Also, as for the pyramiding, that will most likely improve over time.
I'm sure there will be more experienced members to help you soon.
Oh, and one other thing -Welcome !
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post pics of her so we know better what you are dealing with.
Keep up the baby food soaks and you can add baby Pedialyte to the soak water too
When you get your equipment, get the over all day and night temps to 85 and a basking area of 95-100
Get the table covered so you can get the humidity up to 80%.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Here are some notes:

1. You can't tell the sexes at 18 months. Not until they reach at least 14" and sometimes 16-18 inches.
2. They should never live as a pair.
3. Almost everything you find doing "research" is going to be wrong. Read more here:
4. You cannot maintain the correct conditions for this species in an open topped table. You need a closed chamber.
5. You don't need hay until they are much larger. I don't even start introducing it until they are at least 12 inches.

The correct care, housing and feeding info is here:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello. I'm so glad for you to have found your young torts and finding TFO in time to help them. They wind up being a lifelong treasure. Welcome.🤗🙏

Sobergrower

Phoenix
The person before me only fed her Romaine lettuce & I know spinach isn’t ideal I just but one leaf down to try to show her something familiar 🤷‍♀️ This is her “outside” enclosure for now, I got the heat bulbs but have no proper lamp clip 🙄 so waiting for that today..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7

Sobergrower

Phoenix
This is the indoor enclosure for now, I usually have a little terracotta saucer of water but it keeps getting dirty

ALSO…. Her back right leg is weird when she walks… she almost extends it way too far it looks like to walk, the other one just stomps along normally…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9

Sobergrower

Phoenix

1. You can't tell the sexes at 18 months. Not until they reach at least 14" and sometimes 16-18 inches.
3. Almost everything you find doing "research" is going to be wrong. Read more here:
4. You cannot maintain the correct conditions for this species in an open topped table. You need a closed chamber.
5. You don't need hay until they are much larger. I don't even start introducing it until they are at least 12 inches.

Thank you so much!! I’ve read so many conflicting “facts” on tortoises 😵‍💫 also the person who gave the tortoise to me just said she was female so that’s what I’ve been referring to as but I just hope it can be happy & healthy😩

Sobergrower

Phoenix

Sorry one more reply; do you have any recommendations for a DIY closed top? I’ve been using a tub lid with rubber mats on top & a human heating pad on top of that to try to retain the inside environment… our closure didn’t come with a lid

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This tortoise needs a daily hour or two of soaking. She has been totally dehydrated and mistreated for too long. Thanks for trying to help them. You came to the right place for advice!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I'm just wondering about the other tortoise that was with her.Will you be able to tell the owners about the changes you are making,and perhaps help them improve it's situation? You didn't say exactly where they were - was it in a pet shop, or at someone's home.?
Angie

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm thinking since you've only had the tortoise since Thursday to use some romaine only because that's what is familiar. Add a bunch of better greens cut up also. She'll hunt for the romaine but might accidentally get a bite of the other stuff Keep decreasing the romaine over time until you don't have to add it. Tortoises don't like changes. And it's been several big changes for her. So it'll take time getting her to eat properly.