Muffin_Angel

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Okay, I'm new to this forum and a new tortoise mummy, I've had my Greek Ibera/Spur-thighed for just over a month!
She's doing great, eating well, pooping etc etc

I keep her in a custom-built tortoise table, she is 8 months old.
Setup attached :D The clear box is her humid hide!
UVB is a 10% desert bulb, over near her feeding bowl where she spends most of her time.

I was just curious, the basking temperature of her bulb is a 75W intense and temperature underneath is 32C (89.6F)
The cold side of her enclosure sits at 21.5-22C (70.7F - 71.6F) and that's where I keep her water!

According to the temp gun, the water is 21C (69.8F)

is this too cold for her to go into, drink etc?

Attachments

• 20220409_101358.jpg
    20220409_101358.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 9
  • photo_2022-04-08_22-45-39 (2).jpg
    photo_2022-04-08_22-45-39 (2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 8
  • photo_2022-04-08_22-45-39.jpg
    photo_2022-04-08_22-45-39.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220409_102627.jpg
    20220409_102627.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 9

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
This is the most up to date caresheet you need to make sure the temps, diet, substrate humidity etc are all that they should be for her to thrive.

Most of us have been given incorrect or outdated information and sold unsafe equipment by pet shops or breeders etc., but the caresheet will help you check the living conditions and put things right without too much impact on the torts.

Vivs or closed chambers are often advised for babies because they are easier to control the temps and humidity which will help prevent pyramiding of the shell. You could look for something like a mini portable greenhouse to put over your table which will help.

The water dish you have has quite steep sides and could be a tipping/drowning hazard for your little one. Many of us use cheap terracotta plant sauces with gently sloping sides and sunk level with the substrate which are easier and safer for babies to access and exit.
The plastic tub is a good idea but your tort may prefer a darker hide.
What sort of bulbs are you using for basking, uvb and night heat?

If you haven't already found it, you'll find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful because it's a good guide to tort safe foods

Muffin_Angel

Scotland
Hi and welcome,
This is the most up to date caresheet you need to make sure the temps, diet, substrate humidity etc are all that they should be for her to thrive.

Most of us have been given incorrect or outdated information and sold unsafe equipment by pet shops or breeders etc., but the caresheet will help you check the living conditions and put things right without too much impact on the torts.

Vivs or closed chambers are often advised for babies because they are easier to control the temps and humidity which will help prevent pyramiding of the shell. You could look for something like a mini portable greenhouse to put over your table which will help.

The water dish you have has quite steep sides and could be a tipping/drowning hazard for your little one. Many of us use cheap terracotta plant sauces with gently sloping sides and sunk level with the substrate which are easier and safer for babies to access and exit.
The plastic tub is a good idea but your tort may prefer a darker hide.
What sort of bulbs are you using for basking, uvb and night heat?

If you haven't already found it, you'll find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful because it's a good guide to tort safe foods
I just got the Habistat, tortoise pool today, it didn't look too steep once she was in it, the pictures make it look a lot steeper than it actually is! But I will keep a very close eye on her for the next while and if I see any issues will remove it.
Do you have any images of the terracotta saucers? The only ones I seem to find are very steep.

A greenhouse topper is not realistic, unfortunately, as I have a cat. I could do a vivarium potentially, but it would have to be with the glass included and closed which I've been told over and over is not recommended.

Arcadia Euro Range 10-Percent D3 UVB Desert
Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot Lamp, 75 W
I don't need night heat, as the ambient temperature of the house stays within safe parameters.

I will find a way to make the humid hide darker for her.

Was the water temperature too cold/a safe temperature or?? I feel like I got a lot of advice, but not a reply to my actual question lol

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I just got the Habistat, tortoise pool today, it didn't look too steep once she was in it, the pictures make it look a lot steeper than it actually is! But I will keep a very close eye on her for the next while and if I see any issues will remove it.
Do you have any images of the terracotta saucers? The only ones I seem to find are very steep.

A greenhouse topper is not realistic, unfortunately, as I have a cat. I could do a vivarium potentially, but it would have to be with the glass included and closed which I've been told over and over is not recommended.

I don't need night heat, as the ambient temperature of the house stays within safe parameters.

Was the water temperature too cold/a safe temperature or?? I feel like I got a lot of advice, but not a reply to my actual question lol

Cool “drinking” water is fine, but you will want the soaking water to be nice & warm (not cold). Most torts will drink up during their daily soaks, but it’s good to have water available to drink as they see fit.

Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay, I'm new to this forum and a new tortoise mummy, I've had my Greek Ibera/Spur-thighed for just over a month!
She's doing great, eating well, pooping etc etc

I keep her in a custom-built tortoise table, she is 8 months old.
Setup attached :D The clear box is her humid hide!
UVB is a 10% desert bulb, over near her feeding bowl where she spends most of her time.

I was just curious, the basking temperature of her bulb is a 75W intense and temperature underneath is 32C (89.6F)
The cold side of her enclosure sits at 21.5-22C (70.7F - 71.6F) and that's where I keep her water!

According to the temp gun, the water is 21C (69.8F)

is this too cold for her to go into, drink etc?
The water temp should be fine, but your temps are too cool for my liking all around. 21-22C is fine for a baby for the overnight low, but I'd prefer 24-26C for the daytime ambient, and 36C for directly under the basking bulb. If the room is 21-22C, there really isn't any way to bring ambient temp up in an open table. That's like trying to heat your house with no roof on it.

Also, the "intense" basking bulb will cause "intense" pyramiding. Flood bulbs work better and the effects are not as bad.

Give that care sheet that Lyn linked a read. As Lyn explained, most of the world gives bad tortoise care info. Its been wrong for decades and parroted by generation after generation, and most people don't have a clue.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK

Terracotta plant base examples head for a garden center they will have them.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009046060/?tag=

Also get some flat stones/pebbles and place around the water dish that helps egress and ingess to water if there is a level.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Also get some flat stones/pebbles and place around the water dish that helps egress and ingess to water if there is a level.
Also almost anywhere you can find the terra cotta dishes. I've bought rocks my Tortoise loves and uses along with those dishes at hobby lobby for cheap cheap 😊

Muffin_Angel

Scotland
The water temp should be fine, but your temps are too cool for my liking all around. 21-22C is fine for a baby for the overnight low, but I'd prefer 24-26C for the daytime ambient, and 36C for directly under the basking bulb. If the room is 21-22C, there really isn't any way to bring ambient temp up in an open table. That's like trying to heat your house with no roof on it.

Also, the "intense" basking bulb will cause "intense" pyramiding. Flood bulbs work better and the effects are not as bad.

Give that care sheet that Lyn linked a read. As Lyn explained, most of the world gives bad tortoise care info. Its been wrong for decades and parroted by generation after generation, and most people don't have a clue.
I have hunted for these "flood" bulbs and have been unable to find them. Could you please send me examples of these on Amazon/Ebay etc?
I live in the UK.

Muffin_Angel

Scotland

Genuinely, the pool I got her is the same or less deep than those terracotta dishes lol. I will add flat pebbles to help with any incline, thank you for the advice!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Last edited:

Muffin_Angel

Scotland
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKHU76/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

If you can't find them at a hardware store or something like that, Arcadia makes flood bulbs for reptiles too.

These seem to be the closest equivalent I can find, are these sufficient?

Muffin_Angel

Scotland

These seem to be the closest equivalent I can find, are these sufficient?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKHU76/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

If you can't find them at a hardware store or something like that, Arcadia makes flood bulbs for reptiles too.
Or otherwise this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018QYK0Y2/?tag=

??