Drinking

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
I always have fresh,clean water available in Donatello's tank at all times. But this morning, during his bath I noticed him drink a large amount of the bath water. Normally he opens his mouth wide like he's going to take a bite of water but today instead he kinda kept his his mouth closed n it looked almost as tho he was trying to inhale it through his nose lol. But he put his head up ever few minutes to breathe but then went back to drinking, he did this for about 10 minutes. Sorry if I sound paranoid or stupid. Is this normal,or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• 1413826499003.jpg
    1413826499003.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 1413826536126.jpg
    1413826536126.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 36

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
No, thats good. Is the dish in his enclosure big enough for him to fit into?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I think he might just be enjoying his bath. Maybe try a little less water.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Sulcata can and do drink through their nostrils. Many other torts do too. Probably an adaptation so they can drink out of shallow rain puddles.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Perfectly normal. My 150lb guy does this when he is soaking in his pond.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
They will drink from a bowl, I use this type bowl for Walker when I feel it is to cold for him to get in water. He drinks a lot of water all winter, at least a half gallon a day, usually more. You can see the water line on his face and how far down he goes to drink. He has never turned this bowl over, he moves it around though.walker waterbowl.jpg

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
It still amazes me when I see the water line in Chuck's water dish go down when he takes a drink.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I always have fresh,clean water available in Donatello's tank at all times. But this morning, during his bath I noticed him drink a large amount of the bath water. Normally he opens his mouth wide like he's going to take a bite of water but today instead he kinda kept his his mouth closed n it looked almost as tho he was trying to inhale it through his nose lol. But he put his head up ever few minutes to breathe but then went back to drinking, he did this for about 10 minutes. Sorry if I sound paranoid or stupid. Is this normal,or am I doing something wrong?

Izzy, we soak them so they can drink all they want, and that is what your guy was doing. Does he use the water bowl in his enclosure, or does it stay clean all the time? Have you ever seen him drink from it? To be safe why don't you show us a pic of your water bowl and where it sits. There are many reasons why a tortoise might not feel comfortable with its water bowl and choose not to drink from it.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
Yes he drinks from it And uses it ( i have to clean it sometimes twice a day ) its a crappy pic but ya he climbs in and out throughout the day n drinks from it, but I've just never seen him stick his whole head in the water for so long lol I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.

Attachments

• 1413930477479.jpg
    1413930477479.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 16