PLEASE RESPOND QUICKLY (a drinking question)

Daisukin

My sulcata tortoise was drinking out of his water bowl 9 minutes ago then he started to make a very loud squeak noise and a bubble came out of his nose. Here is a picture of my sulcata Franklin he did the squeak sound and he closed one of his eyes and it was red and went back to normal. I'm really worried so if you can please respond quickly

Attachments

• 1486833988197474167096.jpg
    1486833988197474167096.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 51

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome to the Forum! I haven't seen your threads before so don't know how you keep your baby tort (lights/heat/humidity) but the substrate stands out right away. Any of the members here will tell you not to use woos shavings. What are your temperatures/ humidity? What do you feed this baby? Do you soak him daily in warm (not hot! Warm!) water?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably nothing to worry about. Tortoises submerge their faces in the water and drink through their nostrils.

Daisukin

It's probably nothing to worry about. Tortoises submerge their faces in the water and drink through their nostrils.
Thank you! It happend after he was drinking but after 5 minutes the very loud noise happend. I'm a noobie at this so that's why I was so worried

Last edited:

Daisukin

Welcome to the Forum! I haven't seen your threads before so don't know how you keep your baby tort (lights/heat/humidity) but the substrate stands out right away. Any of the members here will tell you not to use woos shavings. What are your temperatures/ humidity? What do you feed this baby? Do you soak him daily in warm (not hot! Warm!) water?
I feed him kale sometimes arugula and rarely romaine. I soak him in warm water almost everyday. The humid side is in the 70s and I think the heat is 89 or 90. I also give him tomato every 3 days as a treat. I looked up aspen shavings maybe 6 days ago and people said it was fine I wish I knew that before I got a huge bag of them... xD

Pearly

5 Year Member
It seems like one of our sulcata experts should point out some good reading to you on sulcata diet and enclosures. I keep RF torts, mine can eat a lot more then herbivorous species that yours is. I do know that sugar is not good for them and that you should stock up on all kinds of chemical free weeds and grasses. For store bought greens you can sometimes find the dandelion greens for like 1.99$ per big bunch depending on where you are, or just go outside and pick some but only from places you are 100% sure that haven't been sprayed with chemicals. Dandelions, collard greens, escarole and endive lettuces, radicchio, and don't forget about opuntia cactus pads! If you don't have wild patch of weeds to harvest that are safe for your tort and have to rely in your local grocery stores that the stuff listed above will be a good choice for your tort. I'd also try adding little commercial herbivorous tortoise pelleted food. First soak it and then mash it up and mix with your chopped greens and finely diced cactus. Hibiscus leaves and flowers, grape leaves, mulberry leaves and many many many others which our sulcata keepers will point out to you. I will only add that kale should not be used on daily bases, same goes for broccoli greens and spinach. The other greens listed above are much healthier for your tort and safer fir daily use. Whatever you do though please do rotate the diet! Make it as diverse as possible. Let your tort have little bit of everything over a week or 2. You know, just like us humans: we are supposed to eat "rainbow of colors" every day. Maybe @Tom would be kind enough to give you best links to sulcata info. There are many others on here who are great resource I just can't think of any user names at the moment

Pearly

5 Year Member
I feed him kale sometimes arugula and rarely romaine. I soak him in warm water almost everyday. The humid side is in the 70s and I think the heat is 89 or 90. I also give him tomato every 3 days as a treat. I looked up aspen shavings maybe 6 days ago and people said it was fine I wish I knew that before I got a huge bag of them... xD
Another thing is how do you measure temps and humidity in your enclosure? What device do you use? You really need to know your exact temp, and not "guessing". Temps and lighting are crucial to your babies health, growth and development

Pearly

5 Year Member

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My sulcata tortoise was drinking out of his water bowl 9 minutes ago then he started to make a very loud squeak noise and a bubble came out of his nose. Here is a picture of my sulcata Franklin he did the squeak sound and he closed one of his eyes and it was red and went back to normal. I'm really worried so if you can please respond quickly

Hello and welcome.

If he only made that noise once, then I would not worry too much. But if you start to see excessive yawning and hear that noise or a squeaking noise again, then you might have an issue.

Please read these for current sulcata care and feeding. They need warm temps day and night.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Come back with all your questions when you are done.