Dropped Onto Grass

koathetort

Location (City and/or State)
Victoria, BC
Hi all,

I don’t know what I was thinking but today I let my neighbour's granddaughter hold my ~2 year old leopard and she dropped him. Its totally my fault, she’s only 5 and I really should have known better. He was about at her waist height, and as I said she’s 5 so I doubt it was more than two feet. He fell right onto the grass on his tummy and was tucked in so I’m not worried about broken arms or legs. He’s eating fine and acting normal, but I’m so, so worried about him and I feel AWFUL. There are no cracks, scratches, or anything like that. What are everyone’s thoughts? My girlfriend thinks I’m being silly, but I’m so protective of him. Thank you in advance, and please learn from my careless mistake: don’t let kids hold your tortoise!

kai

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He should be fine. If it were cement then it could be a whole different story.
Next time, kids have to sit on the ground or floor and you have your hands holding the tort while they also hold them. Little kids can never be trusted. When they are done, they just drop the item. If the tort jerks or scares them, thry will drop them.
I don't think kids shouldn't be able to hold or pet them, that's the start if getting them interested and to care about them. However it has to be done with torts safety first.

koathetort

Victoria, BC
He should be fine. If it were cement then it could be a whole different story.
Next time, kids have to sit on the ground or floor and you have your hands holding the tort while they also hold them. Little kids can never be trusted. When they are done, they just drop the item. If the tort jerks or scares them, thry will drop them.
I don't think kids shouldn't be able to hold or pet them, that's the start if getting them interested and to care about them. However it has to be done with torts safety first.
Absolutely. I literally haven’t seen any kids in over a year and a half (since Covid) and I just didn’t think about it. Honestly, it’s very doubtful I’ll let a kid hold him again. Thanks for the tips :)

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hi all,

I don’t know what I was thinking but today I let my neighbour's granddaughter hold my ~2 year old leopard and she dropped him. Its totally my fault, she’s only 5 and I really should have known better. He was about at her waist height, and as I said she’s 5 so I doubt it was more than two feet. He fell right onto the grass on his tummy and was tucked in so I’m not worried about broken arms or legs. He’s eating fine and acting normal, but I’m so, so worried about him and I feel AWFUL. There are no cracks, scratches, or anything like that. What are everyone’s thoughts? My girlfriend thinks I’m being silly, but I’m so protective of him. Thank you in advance, and please learn from my careless mistake: don’t let kids hold your tortoise!

kai
You have yourself a beautiful tortoise.
If he is acting normal, I don't see anything to worry about. Like wellington said, just pay attention to any signs of new or different behavior.