dry tortoise shell?

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
i also completely forgot to mention that she drags herself when she walks. i'm considering taping her for her outside walks until she develops muscles again to walk without drag.
Can I ask how long you’ve noticed her dragging for? I don’t suppose you could attach a video? You have to upload to another source like YouTube then attach the link

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
i'm back again, does anyone here know tortoise babysitters in california, san jose? my parents want to go on vacation this summer and i've practically shut out the idea of vacation because i wanna stay and care for her. it's bad enough that im not at home bc of school ... 😭
I can’t help on this front, but I’d be very careful who you choose to cater to her current needs, you need to find someone who will be prepared in the event she deteriorates under their care, sorry I’m not saying that to worry you, I’m only saying as she’s clearly presenting with some health problems

I genuinely wish I could be of more use to you, her symptoms really are out of my depth so I’m reluctant saying what I think the potential problems could be/advising on her care, but I also don’t want you just left hanging if the others don’t get round to answering😣

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This sounds silly as I’m sure you’ve answered all this previously, but let’s strip back to the very basics again for a refresh and to keep this thread active

What are the temperatures in the enclosure like? Ie basking temp(directly under the bulb) overall day temps and night temps?
What size is the current enclosure? And how long does she get outside daily?(be as honest as you can, we won’t judge, we just need to know the information)
How’s humidity and what are you using for substrate?
How do you measure your temp and humidity? Digital monitors? Temp gun?
What kind of things are you currently feeding diet wise now? Do you add supplementation like calcium? If so how much?
What kind of lighting/heating are you using specifically? Do you use indoor uv?
How often do you soak her currently?

An up to date photo of your enclosure could be useful here👍

zovick

10 Year Member!
@Chefdenoel10 😭 i'm so lost right now, i want her to get better... i've ordered everything from amazon, and during the weekend i will set up her new enclosure. i've been very busy lately, so i haven't been actively hand feeding her. i know for sure she poops (it's a dark green color and holds its shape, though it isn't overly dry.) i put her in the bath this weekend (i kind of feel bad for not soaking her today) and she pooped 6 times :D she's very active still, she can probably claw me hard enough to break my skin though she hasn't really tried. she also dug under the fence and has a crazy appetite, though i've been feeding her a lot less lately to see if her weight drops. (it hasn't.) she was 600g in early july, now she is 580g. ...i think it's just water retention, like in humans. man i don't know, i'm so lost.

i can't drive (yet), and i've been so busy and i can't find time for her. i already bought all these supplies to make her a nice enclosure (still small, but bigger than her last one). if i were to rehome her (i really don't want to) i'd have to do something with all these supplies. it feels like a monetary waste, as harsh as it sounds... since money is something i take care of on my own. my job isn't very stable so sadly, money is a factor in her care.

okay onto the shell, if u look between the scutes, some of it is dark, almost like dried blood. (it isn't). some of it did come off, and it was pure white underneath. these areas between the scutes are softer, like a very hard bar of soap. you can make indents with your nails. the rest of her shell is hard. near the edges of her scutes, part of her shell can flake off, in small segments. underneath is whiter shell. i don't think it's fungus? fungus usually appears on plastron first right.... anyway, that aside, her shell is still rock hard aside from those areas. only those crevices between scutes.
The white crevices between the scutes which I see in these pix are the new growth which is taking place. Those areas are always softer than the rest of the shell. I would highly recommend leaving them alone (IE, don't scrape on them to see if they are soft, they ARE soft) because you will cause damage to the new growth and scarring. Not to mention exposing the new bone underneath and possibly causing an infection.

Yingg

California
The white crevices between the scutes which I see in these pix are the new growth which is taking place. Those areas are always softer than the rest of the shell. I would highly recommend leaving them alone (IE, don't scrape on them to see if they are soft, they ARE soft) because you will cause damage to the new growth and scarring. Not to mention exposing the new bone underneath and possibly causing an infection.
oh okay, that makes me feel better. do you know what the dark area is?

Yingg

California
I can’t help on this front, but I’d be very careful who you choose to cater to her current needs, you need to find someone who will be prepared in the event she deteriorates under their care, sorry I’m not saying that to worry you, I’m only saying as she’s clearly presenting with some health problems

I genuinely wish I could be of more use to you, her symptoms really are out of my depth so I’m reluctant saying what I think the potential problems could be/advising on her care, but I also don’t want you just left hanging if the others don’t get round to answering😣
ah, don't worry. you've been so much help so far, and you're so nice. i totally get what you mean, i do have to be very careful 😢

Yingg

California
This sounds silly as I’m sure you’ve answered all this previously, but let’s strip back to the very basics again for a refresh and to keep this thread active

What are the temperatures in the enclosure like? Ie basking temp(directly under the bulb) overall day temps and night temps?
What size is the current enclosure? And how long does she get outside daily?(be as honest as you can, we won’t judge, we just need to know the information)
How’s humidity and what are you using for substrate?
How do you measure your temp and humidity? Digital monitors? Temp gun?
What kind of things are you currently feeding diet wise now? Do you add supplementation like calcium? If so how much?
What kind of lighting/heating are you using specifically? Do you use indoor uv?
How often do you soak her currently?

An up to date photo of your enclosure could be useful here👍
gosh this is all going to sound so bad. i'll provide the old enclosure, since as you know everything is getting revamped. this is the enclosure i think caused the harm.

temp: 70-90, i used to turn on the basking light in intervals rather than leaving it on.
size: 34x16 inches (this is so bad....)
outside: used to be basically none, only 3 hours every, like, 5 days.... now it's at least 4 hours every two days and 6 hours a day on the weekends.
humidity... i'm not sure. the humidity reader broke, a while back. before this, i know it used to be very dry. now, i manually spritz with water and keep the substrate moist while the reader arrives.
substrate: coco coir
temp gun, not monitor. i stole my dad's.
food: back then it was practically romaine lettuce 24/7. now: still romaine, but i mix it with mazuri LS tortoise chow if she's hungry (she won't eat it otherwise). hibiscus flowers, sometimes succulents (very rarely), endive: escarole, wheatgrass if i can get my hands on it. that's currently what she's okay with eating. i give her a pinch of calcium twice a week
i used to use indoor UV. the bulb is from somewhere, i don't even know where. the basking light is Zoomed's basking bulb, and the heat emitter is just a normal heat emitter. except it broke recently, so i use the basking lamp at a very low wattage/power (?) to regulate at night. though usually i don't need to, it's pretty warm at night. NOW: i use arcadia t5 12%, zoomed basking bulb, normal head emitter.
soak: used to be nearly never. now i do ít twice a week at minimum.

picture: these are VERY old pictures, but this is what the enclosure looked like 😭 i'm at school, i can't really go home and take a picture right now.

Attachments

• IMG_2107.jpeg
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6222.jpeg
    IMG_6222.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6868.jpeg
    IMG_6868.jpeg
    958.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8915.jpeg
    IMG_8915.jpeg