dry tortoise shell?

Yingg

Location (City and/or State)
California
Basking light shouldn’t theoretically need to be on a thermostat if you secure at the right height for the desired basking temp directly underneath of 95-100(this is where a temp gun is useful) but any ceramics will need running on a thermostat.
The basking light will feel hot to the touch, definitely don’t touch the bulb directly, I am also noticing your dome is being held by a clamp, the clamps have been known to fail unfortunately which makes them a hazard, I’d get yourself a stand, or better yet make one out of some timber, screw to the side of the enclosure, then hang it using chain, you can get them on rolls and chain clips🙂something like the photos👍
oh my gosh i didn't know that, thank you. the review said it was very stable 😭 oh, but i meant the arcadia fixture. is that supposed to be hot?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
oh my gosh i didn't know that, thank you. the review said it was very stable 😭 oh, but i meant the arcadia fixture. is that supposed to be hot?
No problem! There have been instances of the clamps failing so definitely wanted to give you the heads up on that. Oh lol I’m with you! Yes don’t worry, it will feel warm when on🙂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
i've set the basking lamp to stay on between 87 and 95 degrees. is the arcadia light supposed to be very warm to the touch? otherwise, this is what i have. i'll add some decor, maybe tomorrow since i'm tired of hauling all this up the stairs.
Yes, all high powered lamps be it incandescent, fluorescent tubes or powerful LED lights produce significant amount of heat. So fixture itself (lamp socket, LED radiator or tube fixture (where electronic ballast is located) get hot too.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
will i accidentally cut into the blood vessel? how far can i cut without worry? thanks so much for everyone's help by the way 😭 🙏

Good morning,
I didn’t mean to scare you .
You did ok.
But they should be shorter.
We don’t think to trim a tortoises nails because they walk and scrape them on their environments outside.
They dig….etc…
But some (like mine) need a little help.

❤️🐢🐌

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
i've set the basking lamp to stay on between 87 and 95 degrees. is the arcadia light supposed to be very warm to the touch? otherwise, this is what i have. i'll add some decor, maybe tomorrow since i'm tired of hauling all this up the stairs.

To the left of this picture.
Is that dirt???
And does it have those little white balls in it? Or am I just an old lady with bad eyes?
I’m sorry , having soil is not bad but having soil with petro… “little white balls” in it is not good for the tt.
Do you know what I’m trying to say?? 🤭
Or should I just shut up?? 😳🤐

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
And lastly,

Please don’t kill me, I am only trying to help you do waaaay better than me…
I am only making suggestions so you are all set up once , then done…
My only other concern is this……
And this is really for ANY place in your house….
Uuummmm…. well…..
Does that look like a good idea to you??

Cup of liquid..outlet..= 🫣…⚡️?

Yingg

California
And lastly,

Please don’t kill me, I am only trying to help you do waaaay better than me…
I am only making suggestions so you are all set up once , then done…
My only other concern is this……
And this is really for ANY place in your house….
Uuummmm…. well…..
Does that look like a good idea to you??

Cup of liquid..outlet..= 🫣…⚡️?
oh don't worry, the cup is empty ^^ i was using it to wet the soil!

Yingg

California
Good morning,
I didn’t mean to scare you .
You did ok.
But they should be shorter.
We don’t think to trim a tortoises nails because they walk and scrape them on their environments outside.
They dig….etc…
But some (like mine) need a little help.

❤️🐢🐌
noted, i will try to file her down more

Yingg

California
To the left of this picture.
Is that dirt???
And does it have those little white balls in it? Or am I just an old lady with bad eyes?
I’m sorry , having soil is not bad but having soil with petro… “little white balls” in it is not good for the tt.
Do you know what I’m trying to say?? 🤭
Or should I just shut up?? 😳🤐
oh noooo don't worry, it's coco coir that i packed down. the white stuff is some dry coco coir i mixed in, it does stand out a bit.

Yingg

California
oh noooo don't worry, it's coco coir that i packed down. the white stuff is some dry coco coir i mixed in, it does stand out a bit.
she is roaming around! does anyone have recommendations of decor/hides? i need to get a water bowl, but for now i'm just going to manually soak her in a tub outside. are there any plants that she can stay around/grow in coco coir?

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpeg
    IMG_0146.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
noted, i will try to file her down more
Not too much!
You and I are not nail salons.!
I don’t want you to hit the blood spot.
They are ok for now but maybe let her
(If she will) walk around more to file them down. Like on cement or in the garden??

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
she is roaming around! does anyone have recommendations of decor/hides? i need to get a water bowl, but for now i'm just going to manually soak her in a tub outside. are there any plants that she can stay around/grow in coco coir?

Soooo cute!!!!
For a hide try …. 🤔…..
Well they sell big ones but I think it’s too expensive for you to buy…
For now what about a good sized box with one side cut off.
A little bigger than her but not to big.. she will like to be “stuffed in there” to feel protected from predators. ❤️🙏