dry tortoise shell?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Car rides are great at getting them to poop .... especially when you don't need them too.
Not Zola - he has sat on my lap for very long car journeys and usually manages not to poop - although we try to have peeing stops at appropriate places !
Angie

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
shoot i forgot to buy mineral oil oh my god 😭 do you have brands by chance? i might just order it off amazon. for now i'll keep trying aloe vera though, she seems to like it. how much aloe is too much?

and yes, i will clean out a bigger tub ^^ she's always moving anyway.
Unfortunately as I am from Finland I can't really recommend a brand. But they are also sold as paraffin oil or baby oil, you should find one that is 100% petroleum.

Yingg

California
Unfortunately as I am from Finland I can't really recommend a brand. But they are also sold as paraffin oil or baby oil, you should find one that is 100% petroleum.
i've been looking online and i can only see the ones with fragrances. (johnson's brand) is fragrance okay or should i keep searching?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
i've been looking online and i can only see the ones with fragrances. (johnson's brand) is fragrance okay or should i keep searching?
You need pharmaceutical grade laxative mineral oil, not skin treatment. So no fragrances, other plant oils and stuff. This one should work:

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
😂 mine never poops in the car, she just hides and doesn't come out 😂
While she is in a hide box cover it with a small blanket, sheet or towel and then move her to the car. You can also try to put her in the car a half hour prior to departure. This will allow her to 'settle in' before all the activity starts. The mineral oil will work as well just letting ya know another tool in the Tort Tool Box.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Not Zola - he has sat on my lap for very long car journeys and usually manages not to poop - although we try to have peeing stops at appropriate places !
Angie
Zola is a 'Experienced Traveler' and most likely chomping at the bit to go somewhere and see the sights. Zola (I would assume) loves car rides.

Yingg

California
If he is eating his normal food you can try rolling up mineral oil in a lettuce leaf, preferably with soaked pellets inside. This way you should be able to lubricate the whole digestive track. I did this on top of what Alex suggests. The thing is mine luckyli didn't stop eating. He had a short constipation period though.

Also, if your tortoise scrambles during soaks, try soaking him in a bigger dish now that he is constipated. This will ensure that your tortoise will get more movement in hopefully resulting in a poop.
yesterday, she pooped and it was very.... liquidy. it didn't really look undigested, but it definitely had 0 form. today, i soaked her again in the larger tub like you said with warmer water, and she pooped out this? I don't even know what it is. What is it????

her appetite is very small. she only eats a few bites of her hibiscus and ignores everything else. i will measure her weight in a bit to see if it changed drastically

Attachments

• IMG_0629.jpeg
    IMG_0629.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1