dry tortoise shell?

Yingg

Location (City and/or State)
California
I really hope she starts improving for you soon, things certainly aren’t dire yet so try not to get too overwhelmed by it, a week isn’t a crazy long time and she has been taking some bites here n there to sustain herself, I’m hoping one of the more experienced members can chime in at some point
happy update!! she ate!! i took the oil and dipped a hibiscus flower in it. i coated every surface and gave it to her. she ate the whole thing, and tried to get a bit of my finger too.

i wasn't sure how much oil that was, though it was as definitely enough to coat your average sized hibiscus flower, just enough so it wasn't dripping.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
happy update!! she ate!! i took the oil and dipped a hibiscus flower in it. i coated every surface and gave it to her. she ate the whole thing, and tried to get a bit of my finger too.

i wasn't sure how much oil that was, though it was as definitely enough to coat your average sized hibiscus flower, just enough so it wasn't dripping.
Yay that’s really good! Definitely keep persevering with offering her favourites, even if you have to keep up with hand feeding for a bit to encourage her🙂this is a positive step! She sounds like she could go for more if she tried for your finger lol

Yingg

California
Yay that’s really good! Definitely keep persevering with offering her favourites, even if you have to keep up with hand feeding for a bit to encourage her🙂this is a positive step! She sounds like she could go for more if she tried for your finger lol
yeah definitely. only issue is the hibiscus plant only flowers so fast. should i keep giving her the oil? when should i stop? and can i add it in aloe vera? too bad i can't feed her my finger... :(
@Yvonne G I think you were the one with experience in mineral oil right? What do you think i should do? Thanks!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
yeah definitely. only issue is the hibiscus plant only flowers so fast. should i keep giving her the oil? when should i stop? and can i add it in aloe vera? too bad i can't feed her my finger... :(
@Yvonne G I think you were the one with experience in mineral oil right? What do you think i should do? Thanks!
Hopefully Yvonne will get back to you soon because I’m not too sure on the oil, but I’m so glad she’s had something!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@Yingg .... is there any chance she got overheated? Ya have to think back to before she stopped eating. With there being little to no chance of Brumation behavior going on this is where I am heading in my thoughts. The "symptoms" seem to match up pretty well with an over-heated tort.

1 more thing ..... Told ya @zovick is a legend.

Yingg

California
@Yingg .... is there any chance she got overheated? Ya have to think back to before she stopped eating. With there being little to no chance of Brumation behavior going on this is where I am heading in my thoughts. The "symptoms" seem to match up pretty well with an over-heated tort.

1 more thing ..... Told ya @zovick is a legend.
hm... the spot right under the basking lamp is probably 95+ (but she can walk away) and all her other temps are normal i think, (72-75 early morning, high 70s and low 80s for the night, and 80-83 during the day.). i think that is the only thing i can think of. when she is outside she gets lots of shade too. i only found out about the basking temps because i got a second thermometer and they're both reading differently. although, my hand feels very warm when i put it under the lamp.

...i'll have to get some analog thermometers to test

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I fed mine mineral oil rolled up in a lettuce. Do you have any tortoise safe flowers similarly colored to the hibiscus near by? My tortoise is more likely to eat flowers that are similarly colored to his favourite flower, instead of just any flowers. That might work too.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
hm... the spot right under the basking lamp is probably 95+ (but she can walk away) and all her other temps are normal i think, (72-75 early morning, high 70s and low 80s for the night, and 80-83 during the day.). i think that is the only thing i can think of. when she is outside she gets lots of shade too. i only found out about the basking temps because i got a second thermometer and they're both reading differently. although, my hand feels very warm when i put it under the lamp.

...i'll have to get some analog thermometers to test
It may not be that she got overheated just a thought. We had a tort get flipped over and suffer these same issues. Other more knowledgeable people may know of a better way to treat this but we kept them at 80 degrees and VERY humid until eating and then allowed outside sun time in only 20 minute times.