dry tortoise shell?

Yingg

Location (City and/or State)
California
A couple of moments on the enclosure:
1. Basking lamp and UVB lamp should be placed closer to each other, they work together for vitamin D3 synthesis.
2. The enclosure is not dangerously small but needs some enrichment (like potted plants and some sight barriers). Breaking line of sight provokes tortoise to explore more.
3. You can think if it's possible to make a second level with a ramp. It's not a perfect option to increase walking area and comes with some drawbacks but may work out. A hamster (chinchilla/guinea pig) wheel can be also useful for exercise.
4. What is walls height? They look pretty "climbable" on that photo.
oh, okay. i will place light closer

can i put a pothos plant in?

as for the second ramp, i'm just worried she will climb out. and it'll be too close to the lamps ^^, i'm not sure how the setup would work.

wall height is definitely not climbable, though i don't remember the exact height. (currently outside, not at home)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
oh, okay. i will place light closer

can i put a pothos plant in?

as for the second ramp, i'm just worried she will climb out. and it'll be too close to the lamps ^^, i'm not sure how the setup would work.

wall height is definitely not climbable, though i don't remember the exact height. (currently outside, not at home)
Yes, pothos is okay. Put it in the middle, so it can't be used for escaping :)

There are different options for two-level enclosures:
1. Stack one enclosure on top of another (two levels are of the same size)
2. Make an elevated platform (second level area is smaller). Walls or borders are required to prevent climbing out.

Lamp position and height is adjusted, of course. Also, some additional ambient light might be required.

Yingg

California
Yes, pothos is okay. Put it in the middle, so it can't be used for escaping :)

There are different options for two-level enclosures:
1. Stack one enclosure on top of another (two levels are of the same size)
2. Make an elevated platform (second level area is smaller). Walls or borders are required to prevent climbing out.

Lamp position and height is adjusted, of course. Also, some additional ambient light might be required.
do you have examples of this by chance? i'm having a hard time visualizing 😭 will my tortoise be okay in a small enclosure (the one i have now) for two years (maybe with some walking outside, depending on zovick and everyone else's judgment)?

when i move out i'm definitely giving her the biggest enclosure possible haha. (i'm required to stay in dorms for a year.)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
do you have examples of this by chance? i'm having a hard time visualizing 😭 will my tortoise be okay in a small enclosure (the one i have now) for two years (maybe with some walking outside, depending on zovick and everyone else's judgment)?

when i move out i'm definitely giving her the biggest enclosure possible haha. (i'm required to stay in dorms for a year.)
Here is a few links to give an idea:
1. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-progress-some-questions-🐢.214180/ - a really nice double-decker. Second level can be smaller like this or span over the whole first level.
2. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/h...closure-expansion-for-hermes-tortoise.208557/ - probably the most sophisticated, I've seen so far. But cool, nevertheless.
3. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/ikea-runmaro-enclosure-pains-and-gains.211377/ - a more simple "gallery style".

As I said, you may think of adding a second level. But don't have to. A well-planned smaller enclosure will work too, especially combined with regular walks outside. With my tortoise I have very similar routine: her 6x3 enclosure is small but in the winter she has at least 15-20 minutes walks in the sunshine daily. Of course, I do not consider this optimal.

Yingg

California
Here is a few links to give an idea:
1. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-progress-some-questions-🐢.214180/ - a really nice double-decker. Second level can be smaller like this or span over the whole first level.
2. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/h...closure-expansion-for-hermes-tortoise.208557/ - probably the most sophisticated, I've seen so far. But cool, nevertheless.
3. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/ikea-runmaro-enclosure-pains-and-gains.211377/ - a more simple "gallery style".

As I said, you may think of adding a second level. But don't have to. A well-planned smaller enclosure will work too, especially combined with regular walks outside. With my tortoise I have very similar routine: her 6x3 enclosure is small but in the winter she has at least 15-20 minutes walks in the sunshine daily. Of course, I do not consider this optimal.
sorry but i'm hearing mixed opinions right now, Zovick says no walks, but you say walks are alright. I will look into a second level and update everyone here. I am worried that a ramp would take up a lot of space, since there needs to be an incline for her to walk up. The room underneath the incline would essentially be wasted because she can't fit under. and if there is a second level that covers most of the first one, I wouldn't be able to access it at all... 😭 for me to access it, it would have to be raised higher. That means even more room is wasted in the ramp. idk 😭 i'm lost again

Yingg

California
sorry but i'm hearing mixed opinions right now, Zovick says no walks, but you say walks are alright. I will look into a second level and update everyone here. I am worried that a ramp would take up a lot of space, since there needs to be an incline for her to walk up. The room underneath the incline would essentially be wasted because she can't fit under. and if there is a second level that covers most of the first one, I wouldn't be able to access it at all... 😭 for me to access it, it would have to be raised higher. That means even more room is wasted in the ramp. idk 😭 i'm lost again
i was thinking, maybe use a large rubbermaid tub as an enclosure on top. there won't be any basking/lights though, since it's plastic. basically a small upper hideout? with plants that drape down? i can cut a hole on the side and there will be a wooden ramp. I can build a table to hold it up, over the enclosure on the bottom (or just screw legs onto the tub to hold it up but i feel like that's kinda strange and might take more space, especially if the legs are on the inside of the enclosure on the bottom)

plus i can look for tables on craigslist, i'm sure someone out there has a free table ^^

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
1. You are right about the ramps. In my experience 45 degrees ramp is fine but still takes some space, however you can "reclaim" it by making a bunker-style hide there.
2. I you feel it's not doable or makes maintenance hard - you can skip the idea with ramps and work only with one level to make it "interesting".
3. The opinions may vary and that's normal. Bill is totally right that changes stress out tortoises and when you grab it to take outside at different times of the day this can be stressful. Also, if she is stressed out already, keeping her indoors for several days to settle down will be beneficial.

When you do things consistently - e.g. lights turn on at 7AM, basking, feeding, soaking, basking again and then walk outside and getting back in the enclosure - they can get used to it. I do that with my tortoise for 2 years and she does not look distressed: she wakes up, soaks herself in a water dish, goes to the feeding spot, waits for the food dish and after eating goes to the front doors and scratches glass or just waits. After that she goes outside and walks there as much as weather allows, then "parks" in a hide - a hint that she's ready to go back. Even if it was 15-20 minutes, she considers routine done and when she's back in the enclosure she just explores it, taking naps or bites from time to time. If I don't take her outside - she will pace by the glass because routine is not complete.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
1. You are right about the ramps. In my experience 45 degrees ramp is fine but still takes some space, however you can "reclaim" it by making a bunker-style hide there.
2. I you feel it's not doable or makes maintenance hard - you can skip the idea with ramps and work only with one level to make it "interesting".
3. The opinions may vary and that's normal. Bill is totally right that changes stress out tortoises and when you grab it to take outside at different times of the day this can be stressful. Also, if she is stressed out already, keeping her indoors for several days to settle down will be beneficial.

When you do things consistently - e.g. lights turn on at 7AM, basking, feeding, soaking, basking again and then walk outside and getting back in the enclosure - they can get used to it. I do that with my tortoise for 2 years and she does not look distressed: she wakes up, soaks herself in a water dish, goes to the feeding spot, waits for the food dish and after eating goes to the front doors and scratches glass or just waits. After that she goes outside and walks there as much as weather allows, then "parks" in a hide - a hint that she's ready to go back. Even if it was 15-20 minutes, she considers routine done and when she's back in the enclosure she just explores it, taking naps or bites from time to time. If I don't take her outside - she will pace by the glass because routine is not complete.
A perfect way to do it ... in my opinion. @Yingg Alex just gave you some great info on "how' you can accomplish what you need. You will just have to make it work for you, in your situation. It is a place to start, just tweaking it however ya need to and make it your own way to do it.

Yingg

California

oh okay to my understanding, if she hides outside then she is ready to go back in? is it okay if i make her walk more instead of letting her hide? i think she needs exercise.

i think i will do this. thank you for the advice!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
oh okay to my understanding, if she hides outside then she is ready to go back in? is it okay if i make her walk more instead of letting her hide? i think she needs exercise.

i think i will do this. thank you for the advice!
It's a bit more tricky:
1. When it's warm outside, no need to push your tortoise to walk. Let it be - they hide to rest, to escape heat or excessive UV exposure, to digest foods in a warm spot and so on.
2. When it's cold, she may "park" when freezing (core body temperature lowers, she slows down and want to stay out of sight to be safe). That's another situation and you can bring her inside.

You don't have to force your tortoise to exercise they don't run like crazy all day long. They move, then rest, then move again. Sometimes they do silly things like hiding in the darkest and the coldest corner awaiting for a hot summer day - at that point you need to intervene and take her in a safe and warm place. If she'll be in a mood for more walking she will learn to scratch walls or wait in a "pickup point" to get outside again.

Watch and learn from her behaviour and try to stay out of her way when handling is not necessary.