Drying Dandelions and when

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada ??
I have a huge garden area where I have grown dandilions gor my Hermann tortoise and have a couple of questions please.

1) can they eat the flowers dried , or just leaves? I also notice a lot dying off and turning fluffy which I assume need drying out before they get to that stage?

2) I want to dry dandilions and a few other weeds as well because at -30 in the winter I
Won’t be able to have them fresh. How long after drying them out are they good for nutrition wise?

3. Are creeping bell flowers a safe feed? We’ve had a ton come up this year

I have a dehydrator but was thinking of drying them in the oven a large amt at a time. . At whst temp, how long, and should they be stored in bags or jars?
I had bought some from a guy years ago and he dried them and sprinkled them in his food in the winter, so wondered how dried out they should be.

I plan on doing them asap before the dandilions get more seeds

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a huge garden area where I have grown dandilions gor my Hermann tortoise and have a couple of questions please.

1) can they eat the flowers dried , or just leaves? I also notice a lot dying off and turning fluffy which I assume need drying out before they get to that stage?

2) I want to dry dandilions and a few other weeds as well because at -30 in the winter I
Won’t be able to have them fresh. How long after drying them out are they good for nutrition wise?

3. Are creeping bell flowers a safe feed? We’ve had a ton come up this year

I have a dehydrator but was thinking of drying them in the oven a large amt at a time. . At whst temp, how long, and should they be stored in bags or jars?
I had bought some from a guy years ago and he dried them and sprinkled them in his food in the winter, so wondered how dried out they should be.

I plan on doing them asap before the dandilions get more seeds

Thanks
These are questions for Will @Kapidolo Farms

Very few of us have any experience with this at all. You might have to try it all out and learn for yourself. Please share your findings with the group. I'm sure many people would love to make use of the info you discover.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
These are questions for Will @Kapidolo Farms

Very few of us have any experience with this at all. You might have to try it all out and learn for yourself. Please share your findings with the group. I'm sure many people would love to make use of the info you discover.
What do you feed Hermanns in the winter where it gets to - 30 and nothing grows? This is the first time I’ve considered drying weeds etc. in the winter I feed him store bought food

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you feed Hermanns in the winter where it gets to - 30 and nothing grows? This is the first time I’ve considered drying weeds etc. in the winter I feed him store bought food
Store bought greens can work as a base, but add other things for fiber and variety. Dried dandelions are a great start, but try to buy or make many more. You can also add in soaked ZooMed pellets, Mazuri, or soaked horse hay pellets. Purina Organic Lay Crumbles for chickens too.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Store bought greens can work as a base, but add other things for fiber and variety. Dried dandelions are a great start, but try to buy or make many more. You can also add in soaked ZooMed pellets, Mazuri, or soaked horse hay pellets. Purina Organic Lay Crumbles for chickens too.
Ok thanks. I can’t grow indoors and our markets don’t sell them here , so drying is my only option I thing