Early signs on Upper Respiratory Tract Infection?

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
So I have three leopard tortoises that are around 6 or 7 months old which I believe are starting to show signs of a upper respiratory tract infection. I have booked a vet appointment for a week from now (earliest available appointment) but would like to know what to do until then. All three tortoises are still eating and pooping lots. Over the last week I noticed that one of them had a slightly runny nose, about 2 out of the last four days. This morning, all three had a slightly runny nose.

This is their set up. Closed Chamber. Basking spot 42C with a MVB. Coldest spot 30C 24/7 maintained via CHE and thermostat (i have gotten up in the middle of the night to verify temp stays up). Humidity drops to 40% under the basking spot during the day, otherwise between 60%-99% on cold side and over night. Humide hide with 99% humidity and 36C maintained via heat mat and thermostat. Substrate coconut husk. Diet romaine mixed with zoo med tortoise food, grass clippings, calcium powder. I just started adding oxbow critical care today. Every day they get a 10 minute soak in warm water before their breakfast.

What would you do in my situation to keep them as healthy as possible over the next week. I can also bring them in for the emergency vet at an extra cost of 250$ per tortoise if necessary, but would like to avoid the extra 750$ if possible.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
So I have three leopard tortoises that are around 6 or 7 months old which I believe are starting to show signs of a upper respiratory tract infection. I have booked a vet appointment for a week from now (earliest available appointment) but would like to know what to do until then. All three tortoises are still eating and pooping lots. Over the last week I noticed that one of them had a slightly runny nose, about 2 out of the last four days. This morning, all three had a slightly runny nose.

This is their set up. Closed Chamber. Basking spot 42C with a MVB. Coldest spot 30C 24/7 maintained via CHE and thermostat (i have gotten up in the middle of the night to verify temp stays up). Humidity drops to 40% under the basking spot during the day, otherwise between 60%-99% on cold side and over night. Humide hide with 99% humidity and 36C maintained via heat mat and thermostat. Substrate coconut husk. Diet romaine mixed with zoo med tortoise food, grass clippings, calcium powder. I just started adding oxbow critical care today. Every day they get a 10 minute soak in warm water before their breakfast.

What would you do in my situation to keep them as healthy as possible over the next week. I can also bring them in for the emergency vet at an extra cost of 250$ per tortoise if necessary, but would like to avoid the extra 750$ if possible.
Could be a whole host of reasons how they can get an R.I., including close proximity to an infected tort. My best advice would be to separate them for the time being until a vet can make a determination. Monitor the heat / humidity very closely, and change out the substrate. Give everything a good cleaning.