eating repotted fertilized plants.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
So in tanks outside enclosure I put in two plants that were originally in fertilized soil. I took the plants out of the fertilized soil and put them in organic soil. When I took him outside today he started to eat a tiny bit ...... He took a couple bites... Of one of the plants. Is it going to harm him if he eats a little of the plants that have been in fertilized soil previously even though I put them in organic soil?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Ok good that is the first time he has ever touched planted plants. He never goes for them in his indoor set up. Thanks for the quick reply.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As they grow on, the fertiliser components will quite quickly reduce in the plant. You might want to fence it off for a short while if it becomes a centre for serious eating.

Joe has over the years done this pretty regularly as I've planted something new in the garden and he's decided it's tasty.

I had 3 lovely sedums a couple of years ago. They lasted less than an hour :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My Russians a couple of years ago, totally demolished a large hosta in less then 15 mins. :D I then made the comment to my husband, "Well atleast the other one is safe in with the box turtles. They never touch any of their plants." I then turned to show him and of course, one of the box turtles was busy munching away on it. It was the only time I have ever saw one of them even take a taste of one of their plants.

As to the question about the plant, as was said, your tortoise should be fine.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
That's funny. Tank indoors touches nothing but what's given no planted plants.
But outdoors it's opposite. It's funny well I think it is hah

Status
Not open for further replies.