Eating times?

Lynny D

Location (City and/or State)
South Jersey
Hi Folks, newbie to sully world. I have a juvenile sully and was curious if anyone has notice they have a specific eating time they prefer? Ive noticed mine leaning more and more towards eating at night. Has anyone experienced this. Thank you for any info! :tort::)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Food should be made available first thing in the morning. When they actually eat it is up to them... and no they don't care if it goes a bit limp.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since tortoises are grazers, food should be available to them all day...any time they feel like coming out and eating.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
If Speedy is awake , he has food and clean water available . He cruises around and may go back to either all day long !

Lynny D

South Jersey
At night? The lights should be off at night.

Are you using a coil type bulb for indoor UV?
At night? The lights should be off at night.

Are you using a coil type bulb for indoor UV?
I should have clarified that, she likes to start chowing well past noon, she just seems want to stay in her hide and come out off and on and bask, and eat at her leisure and at around 4-5pm she really is eats with more intensity. I have a basking lamp have to puvk up the ceramic coil tomorrow.

Lynny D

South Jersey
Food should be made available first thing in the morning. When they actually eat it is up to them... and no they don't care if it goes a bit limp.
Thanks and thats what I do , she really doesnt seem to care that its limp lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
About 75 which is why Im getting the heat coil tomorrow
You will probably find your tort is able to get going earlier when proper temperatures are established overnight.

What you describe is, I am pretty sure, because he's too cold in the mornings and it's taking too long to warm up.

Lynny D

South Jersey
You will probably find your tort is able to get going earlier when proper temperatures are established overnight.

What you describe is, I am pretty sure, because he's too cold in the mornings and it's taking too long to warm up.
Thanks , shes been out and about since about noon

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I feed Oli in the morning, but at the same time food (and water) are always available in his enclosure. :) In Winter torts tend to lose appetite.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Lynny D

South Jersey
Thats what I planned on doing , thanks for all the help Ive also added a cover to the hide side to keep the heat in. I have the himidity coming up also, whats a good number for the humidity. Shes indoors Im on the east coast in Southern NJ. I keep getting conflicting info , I havent gotten through all the info for newbies yet ,

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thats what I planned on doing , thanks for all the help Ive also added a cover to the hide side to keep the heat in. I have the himidity coming up also, whats a good number for the humidity. Shes indoors Im on the east coast in Southern NJ. I keep getting conflicting info , I havent gotten through all the info for newbies yet ,

Hi @Lynny D . :)The Russian Tortoise Care Sheet says:

"IMPORTANT : The rubber-maid setup keeps the humidity at around 60%. As the substrate dries out it is critical to add water. Don't let it get dry and dusty !!!";)

Please check the above-mentioned care sheet for details. :D

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hi @Lynny D . :)The Russian Tortoise Care Sheet says:

"IMPORTANT : The rubber-maid setup keeps the humidity at around 60%. As the substrate dries out it is critical to add water. Don't let it get dry and dusty !!!";)

Please check the above-mentioned care sheet for details. :D

Gillian she is asking about a Sully and its recommend at about 80% humidity

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thanks so much it almost at 80% so Im headed in the right direction !! I think having a cover over half really helped.
No problem!! It will help but I would definitely look at covering the whole thing in the near future. You will lose a lot of heat and humidity with only half covered.

Lynny D

South Jersey
No problem!! It will help but I would definitely look at covering the whole thing in the near future. You will lose a lot of heat and humidity with only half covered.

Thanks I'll do that ! Everyones been very helpful Im glad I found this forum!