Edible flowers???

Dozers-mom

Hi, so I'm a pretty new "mom" to a 3 year old red foot. I'm trying to find out what kind of flowers are edible for him? I know he can have roses as long as there's no pesticides on them, but I'm wanting to find something I can kinda grow in his tank. Right now he lives in a 40 gallon aquarium since he's still small. I do plan on building something as he gets bigger.

Thank you for all your help!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't think you'll have flowering plants grow in such a small enclosure. (A three year old Redfoot is far too large for a 40 gallon aquarium.)But you can grow Hibiscus in pots outside.
I understand that some whole food stores sell packaged "salad" flowers.
I have never seen them. But I'd give them a try, since Redfoot do love colorful food.
I use rose, hibiscus and purslane flowers at the moment. Flowers make up as much as 10% of my Redfoot diet.

Leapin

My RF likes pansies and nasturtium, I've also read they can have marigolds and other flowers. Lucy mows them down as soon as they're planted. I put some edible plants on a shelf in the enclosure and they grow down to her, but she can't destroy the roots. Have fun!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My RF likes pansies and nasturtium, I've also read they can have marigolds and other flowers. Lucy mows them down as soon as they're planted. I put some edible plants on a shelf in the enclosure and they grow down to her, but she can't destroy the roots. Have fun!
Marigolds, pansies, petunias, begonias, calendula, zinnia, snapdragon, bachelors buttons, but only the ones you get in salad section packaged for human food. The ones that nurseries sell in 6-packs are probably drenched in systemic chemicals. You can grow them from seed in your garden. As for growing anything in hot/steamy humid 40 gal tank (i have one too) I've never been successful growing any blooming plants in there. I think we would have better chances with some added grow lights

Dozers-mom

Thank y'all for giving me so much advice!!! Like I said, I'm pretty new to this and want him to be happy and healthy. What kind of store sells the salad mix for people? I've never seen any with flowers in them. And I will definitely take a look at the database

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
What kind of store sells the salad mix for people?

An expensive one! Where do you live?

Many of the flowers @Pearly mentioned above are found in commercially sold edible flowers: nasturium, calendula, marigold, cornflower (bachelor's buttons); sometimes rose petals and violets.

These are all safe for tortoises but I can't imagine any of them will grow in a tank.

To some of the above posters as well as @Dozers-mom , I don't have a redfoot but can't imagine a tank this size is adequate for any type of tortoise that is four inches in size? I think you are a new member, have you read the beginner's mistakes thread? http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/ There is information in there on enclosure size and I'm afraid your water bowl is not safe for tortoises. That's mentioned in the thread, too. I know you want him to be happy and healthy, that's what the beginner's mistakes thread is all about!