Edible?

ColinS

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hi. Can anybody help me. Wondering if I can feed the flower in the picture to my hermans. Thankyou

Attachments

• 32773B00-91C9-46B5-909C-5AD876DF1693.jpeg
    32773B00-91C9-46B5-909C-5AD876DF1693.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 30
  • BC90F2CE-B3F3-4DEA-B4D4-69373C852004.jpeg
    BC90F2CE-B3F3-4DEA-B4D4-69373C852004.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m pretty sure that plant is called Rosa Rugosa, a type of rose with large seed pods that can be used to make rose hip tea.

Rosa rugosa (rugosa rose, beach rose, Japanese rose, or Ramanas rose) is a species of rose native to eastern Asia, in northeastern China, Japan, Korea and southeastern Siberia, where it grows on the coast, often on sand dunes.[1] It should not be confused with Rosa multiflora, which is also known as "Japanese rose". The Latin word "rugosa" means "wrinkled."

I just happened to see some of this here in Maryland the other day. Distinctive flower type.

Heres the wiki link - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_rugosa

So id say you can esaily feed the flowers/petals, you can doublecheck on the tortoise table site. Not sure how much nutritional value in the flowers.

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Table says -
  • Common Name: Wild Rose (Dog Rose)
  • Latin Name: Rosa spp.
  • Family Name: Rosaceae
Rose leaves and flower petals are fine as a treat.

Last edited:

daniellenc

Maryland
I’m pretty sure that plant is called Rosa Rugosa, a type of rose with large seed pods that can be used to make rose hip tea.

Rosa rugosa (rugosa rose, beach rose, Japanese rose, or Ramanas rose) is a species of rose native to eastern Asia, in northeastern China, Japan, Korea and southeastern Siberia, where it grows on the coast, often on sand dunes.[1] It should not be confused with Rosa multiflora, which is also known as "Japanese rose". The Latin word "rugosa" means "wrinkled."

I just happened to see some of this here in Maryland the other day. Distinctive flower type.

Heres the wiki link - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_rugosa

So id say you can esaily feed the flowers/petals, you can doublecheck on the tortoise table site. Not sure how much nutritional value in the flowers.

We have these in Maryland?? Where abouts?

daniellenc

Maryland
I’m in Rockville not far but all I see here is rose of Sharon and wild roses in my parts. I figured it was some type of rose but didn’t know it was native here. Skurt loves roses so I’ll be on the look out thanks!

ColinS

Manchester
May seem a really daft question but if I was to offer something toxic to the tortoise would it not know or would it just eat it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Seems like tortoises recognise non edible plants if they're in the geographical area the tortoise species comes from, but they don't recognize non edible plants in a different geographical area. I don't know if I said that right. But hopefully you know what I mean