Egg rotation question

zovick

10 Year Member!
My lifetime hatch rate is only about 30%.
I've done many things wrong.
In the future, any eggs layed in my enclosure will remain there.
Two babies have popped up without me even knowing they were there.
Another fortuitous happening!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Not a tortoise, but many years ago I found 4 three-toed box turtle eggs at the bottom of the concrete pool inside their pen - about 12 inches underwater. There were three box turtles swimming around in the water at the time and those eggs were sloshing around like a group of sailors on shore leave. I had no idea how long the eggs had been there - possibly since the day before - but I fished them out, put them in my syrofoam ice chest with vermiculite inside, and darned if all 4 of those eggs didn't eventually hatch and turn-out normal.
There was a presentation with info on this at TTPG. I can't remember the details, but something about "the clock' doesn't start ticking until the eggs are exposed to air. This is why they don't start developing inside the mom. If the turtle laid the eggs directly into the water, and they weren't exposed to air yet, then you had some time to sort out the problem. Not sure exactly how much time, but time.

I wish I could remember more details about that presentation...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know that at some point, it is very important to not rotate or tip over tortoise eggs.
What point is that?
Right after they are laid?
Right before hatching?
The whole time?
I'll be getting some eggs soon from Bolivian parents. (Very large Redfoot)
I have some concern as to how and when they'll be collected.
I've always heard 24-48 hours after laying, but I have never experimented to test this theory. I defer to @zovick and his vast experience on this one.

My SA leopards are 18-20 inches. That is a big tortoise! I have to carry them around sometimes. Females back to the night box, and males into and out of the female pen weekly. They weigh about 35-40 pounds.

I sure hope you get some viable eggs and hatch them out.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've always heard 24-48 hours after laying, but I have never experimented to test this theory. I defer to @zovick and his vast experience on this one.

My SA leopards are 18-20 inches. That is a big tortoise! I have to carry them around sometimes. Females back to the night box, and males into and out of the female pen weekly. They weigh about 35-40 pounds.

I sure hope you get some viable eggs and hatch them out.
Me too
There always seem to be some paying around.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you know if the zoo which has the tortoises has tried incubating any of those eggs? If not, what do they do with them?
It's not an actual zoo.
It's a garden supply place that also has a walk through garden.
They do nothing with the eggs.
My neighbor knows someone who was allowed to take a few.
They didn't hatch

zovick

10 Year Member!
It's not an actual zoo.
It's a garden supply place that also has a walk through garden.
They do nothing with the eggs.
My neighbor knows someone who was allowed to take a few.
They didn't hatch
That's a shame. Hopefully you will be able to obtain some good eggs soon after they are laid and try to incubate them.